Sunday, September 13, 2015

Crocheted Retro Ornament Throw

Hi Crafty Friends!

Long time no see. I'm so sorry about my prolonged silence. I'm back to work, but our schedule is very different with Amy in high school now. I have to drive her to and from school. It's not bad, but it takes up time. She's loving high school so far. She is in marching band and played in her first football game a couple of weeks ago. The band sounded really good, but I might be a little biased. All that to say that my crafty time is limited. I don't do well stamping at night, so that doesn't help, either. 

Anyway, I have managed to work on some projects. I'm sharing a crochet project called a Retro Ornament Throw. It's a free pattern from Red Heart. The gal who wrote the pattern took the time to create some videos to show how to make the ornaments and then the strips and finally the finishing. Those were very helpful.  I just finished this project this afternoon. I'm thrilled with how it turned out. It is a gift for a friend who recently redecorated her home in a retro theme. 


I used Red Heart Super Saver Yarn to make the project. What I really like about this yarn is there in no dye lot, so if you need to get more yarn you don't have to worry about it not matching up. And I did need to buy more soft white. I think that is the only mistake in the pattern. The pattern said 2 skeins of the soft white and I needed a little over three. I also had to substitute a color. The pattern called for a coral color, but it's been discontinued. I chose to use baby pink instead. 

That's it from me for now. I thank you so very much for stopping by. I will be posting a couple of cards in my next post. I just thought to keep them separated from the crochet project. 

Photobucket

6 comments:

Alanna said...

No surprise that you had a big project going on behind the scenes Jeanne. This throw is simply amazing and your friend is sure lucky to receive it.

Sounds like you are super busy. Those high schoolers sure do keep a mom busy. And how fun that Amy is in marching band. Our school doesn't have a marching band and I miss seeing one at football games. Reminds me of when I was in scool and playing in the band. Lots of cold Friday nights. Have a great week!

Barb said...

I can't believe Amy is in high school! Yes, you will be busy, busy, busy with all that entails. But, I know you will enjoy every moment. How exciting for her playing in the band! I know you're proud of her.

Well, as usual, your crocheting leaves me speechless. The colors you've chosen for this project are beautiful and they look great together. The pattern is just lovely and you've done an excellent job with it. I know your friend is going to love it!

I'll check back in from time to time to see when your card projects are posted.

Take care, Sweetie and don't work too hard! ;)

Hugs,
Barb :)

stampmonkey said...

Jeanne, your crocheted throw is so pretty! I think you did a beautiful job with it and love that you chose to sub in the baby pink color for the discontinued one. It blends really well and I think may even look a bit more Christmas-y than coral would have. Your friend will surely treasure such a beautiful and thoughtful handmade gift!

It's amazing how fast our kids grow up --too fast, if you ask me! It's exciting for most kids to be in high school, as the environment is usually quite a bit different from previous grades. Even though it requires more driving/time from you, I'm sure that Amy will enjoy her years there and that she will have a lot of fun being in the marching band {and this season will be over before you know it, just like all the others!}. How fun it must be for you to get to watch her 'in action' at the games! Perhaps a trip to the Rose Parade will be in your family's/school's future one of the years? ;)

I'm looking forward to seeing the cards you've made. {And thanks for being so kind and encouraging with your comments regarding mine this weekend --you're always so sweet!}

Have a wonderful day!

big hugs,
Christi

Kay Miller said...

Well first I have to say LUCKY friend!! That is stunning! The colors are gorgeous and I love the pattern! That looks like it was a lot of fun to do! Those ornaments are just breathtaking! Sorry you don't have as much time as you'd like to craft, but I am glad that you are having fun working on some projects. So glad Amy is enjoying high school too! ((Hugs))

Sharli Schaitberger said...

That such a very pretty throw! You still amaze me with your crochet and knitting skills!

cm said...

GASP! My stars, Jeanne! Your retro ornament throw sees me breathless in awe! Gorgeous...actually beyond gorgeous! How fortunate your friend is to receive this work of art! Dare I ask how long this took? Truly amazing!
Great to hear that your daughter is enjoying high school. Here, in Alberta, we don't see marching bands very often. I suspect the very short football season and the cool weather is part of the reason. Hopefully, more crafting opportunities will appear as you settle into a routine (I'm hoping for the same...).
Hugs~c