Saturday, July 1, 2017

My Dad and Buster

It's been a while since I posted I know. I don't remember if I've said much here on the blog, but my dad got sick right after Christmas with both the flu and pneumonia and it really took a toll on his health. I took a couple of trips to California to help him and my brother out since then. I found out in February that my dad's health was much more compromised than he had let on to any of us in my family. He was put into hospice care at the end of February, mostly to help him avoid having to go to different doctor's appointments. The care came to him. He did well under that care, but he really was housebound due to his health challenges.

I'm writing today to share that my dad passed away on May 20, 2017. He was 86 years old. I am so glad he isn't suffering anymore, but I miss him dearly. I flew back to California the day he passed and stayed for 3 1/2 weeks to work with my brothers to lay him to rest and then to clean out his house and put it on the market. It was a marathon of work, but we got it done and Dad's house sold the first weekend it was on the market.

The service for my dad was pretty neat. My friend, Kelly, and I along with Jessica worked together to put together picture boards filled with pictures we found of my dad and his family throughout his life. My brothers and I found Dad's Boy Scout shirt that he wore when he was a scout that we put out on display. We also found his Eagle card. We found his basic training cap from when he was in the Marines and photos of him when he worked in Alaska in the late 40s. We found copies of the magazine he founded and tried to get going for a couple of years. During the service he received military honors.  We chose two songs to play. Not religious songs, but two that we felt were completely Dad. One was El Paso by Marty Robbins and the other wasn't even a song at all, but a recording of a P38 flying overhead at an airshow. He would play that recording whenever someone new came to the house and they would go outside to see the plane that was flying so low. He got such a kick out of that. He got Steve a few times with that recording.

After the service we took his ashes and my mom's ashes that he kept all these years (she passed in 1994) to the Riverside National Cemetery where they were interred together. It's a beautiful cemetery and I know they will both rest comfortably there.

I've been home a few weeks now and trying to adjust to my new normal. Every day I think, I've gotta call Dad and share what's going on. Gah.

We had Amy's 16th birthday party last weekend. A low key affair, but she had a great time spending time with her friends and playing a few games. She made an angel food cake and loved every bite of it.

Then on Tuesday of this past week our sweet dog, Buster, had some sort of seizure or stroke and we had to put him to sleep. He was 13.  Boy do we miss him, too! The girls say he is playing with Grandpa now.

This is Buster a few months after we brought him home from the shelter. He was such a sweet boy.

So life has been challenging so far this year. I'm doing okay. I've been working on cleaning up and purging a bit. My dad was a pretty good packrat and the lesson was not lost on me to pare down. I've been working on some cross stitch and working on some cards when I can and feel like some card therapy. I hope as time goes on, I will be able to do a bit more in the crafty department.

Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate the visit. I hope this helps you understand partly why I've not been posting much at all this year. 

Hugs,
Jeanne

12 comments:

Kay Miller said...

What a beautiful tribute to your Dad here Jeanne. He sounds like a wonderful man who lived a rich life. I am so sorry for the loss of both your Dad and Buster. It sounds like the ceremony was grand, and the little touches you put together to honor him were touching. Take care of yourself my friend. I hope you and your family have a happy fourth! ((Hugs))

Loll said...

I'm so sorry for your losses, Jeanne. Thank you for sharing some of the amazing details of your dad's life. Sounds as though he lived life to the fullest.

Take care. xx

mE said...

Oh Jeanne! I knew about your dear father and my heart aches for you. I am glad you were able to spend some time with him.before he passed and it sounds like his service was a beautiful one. The recording prank is hilarious. What a fun memory to have. I think i would have liked to have known him. ♡

I am so sorry to hear about Buster's passing. He was such a sweet little dude. I know he is in Heaven loving on his papa and playing with Miss Sadie.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you... even if you want to go get a cold beverage somewhere... I am just down the road.

♡♡♡

mE said...

Oh Jeanne! I knew about your dear father and my heart aches for you. I am glad you were able to spend some time with him.before he passed and it sounds like his service was a beautiful one. The recording prank is hilarious. What a fun memory to have. I think i would have liked to have known him. ♡

I am so sorry to hear about Buster's passing. He was such a sweet little dude. I know he is in Heaven loving on his papa and playing with Miss Sadie.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you... even if you want to go get a cold beverage somewhere... I am just down the road.

♡♡♡

Alanna said...

It's been such a rough year for you Jeanne. I'm so sorry you don't have your dad to cal anymore. And I'm so very sorry about Buster. I cannot imagine that kind of pain. My prayers are with you and your family. Hugs!!!!

Anita in France said...

I'm so sorry for the loss of your Dad, Jeanne ... it sounds as though his life was one of service and great fun ... your tribute to him is beautiful. I'm sorry too that you lost Buster ... he was so cute. Hope the second half of your year will be a much happier and joyful one ... I'll keep you in my prayers that it is! Hugs, Anita :)

Sharli Schaitberger said...

Oh dear friend. There are no words appropriate other than I am so sorry for your loss! He must have been quite a Dad! I know you have great comfort in his memories and I wish I could hug you and tell you that it gets easier. I don't think grief is something that we go "through" but rather we learn to live "with". He will always come to your side in moments - a shared song, a passing thought, it is usually a surprise to me when my thoughts turn to my Dad and I'm glad that I can still hear his "instructions". Much love and prayers for you and your family.

Hugs.

Darnell said...

Oh, Jeanne, I came to thank you for the visit and birthday wishes and I'm sad to find this post about the deaths of both your beloved Dad and Buster. What a double blow for you and your family. Your father sounds like he was a wonderful guy with a wicked sense of humor and it's clear why he will be so dearly missed. You wrote a beautiful post. I love the idea that your Dad is playing with Buster now. Children are way more resilient than adults when it comes to death; they only see the positive. I hope that time is kind to you and you are able to picture them both together playing, knowing that they would want you to carry on and play, too! Life is for the living, as they say, and go ahead and "talk" to your Dad anyway. I think you know how he would answer whatever you had to share. I send you lots of love and squeezie hugs! Darnell

Patti said...

Dear Jeanne,

I am so sorry to read about your losses. I love this picture of your Dad what a wonderful smile. I see the family resemblance in your eyes. It sounds like you and your family showed him great honor in every detail of the service you had for him.

You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers in the coming days and weeks.

BIG (((Hugs)))
Patti

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing your life update with us, Jeanne. Sending love and hugs!

~Barb

Karin Åkesdotter said...

Dear Jeanne, I'm so sorry about your losses and sad I didn't see it till now - it was beautiful to read about your dad - he looks like he was a very sweet and kind man - a lovely smile.
I'm thinking of you and sending lots of love. Will you please e-mail me your address. XoXo, Karin

stampmonkey said...

Oh, Jeanne...I am so very sorry to learn of your dad's passing (and cute little Buster too). The service you put together for your dad sounded like it was a wonderful tribute to all he held dear and no doubt brought back precious memories for many. He sounded like he was a lot of fun and really enjoyed life, and I know he raised a beautiful, kind, generous, and loving daughter.

I doubt there will ever come a time when you don't instinctively think to share something with him, but I see that as a good thing. Missing him in that way will always remind you of the special relationship you had together and it will always keep him close.

Praying you feel God's comfort and peace.

Sending warm hugs and love,
Christi