Sunday, January 21, 2018

It's A New Year! Let's Update A Bit

Hello!
It's amazing to me to think we are already three weeks into the new year. I hope this finds you doing well and enjoying the start of a brand new year (with no mistakes in it yet). I kind of quit making resolutions because, let's face it, those get broken pretty quickly. I am working on setting some goals, though. One of them is to update this blog a bit. 

I'm going to start by sharing a photo I took of myself earlier this month. 
You might notice the hair color is a bit different. I started going gray/white in my 20s and always vowed never to color my hair. I liked how it looked and I was very lucky that my hair changed evenly. It kind of looked like I had it highlighted for a long time. Over time, though, when my kids were very young, people began assuming I was their grandmother and not their mom. I was also told I looked about 10 years older than I was. I succumbed to wanting to look younger and started coloring my hair. I liked it fine, but got tired of seeing roots within a couple of weeks of coloring. I have wanted to stop coloring it for a few years, but the girls didn't want people to think I was their grandma and not their mom. I gave in for several years. After my dad died though, and all that you go through in that life changing event, I decided I was done messing with my hair. This is me, and if you think I look older or like a grandma, so be it. I actually really like the color, or lack thereof. 

And for the record, a sales associate at Joann's asked my girls if they were enjoying shopping with Grandma. She was quite apologetic when the girls politely corrected her. I laughed and told her she wasn't the first and wouldn't be the last to assume that. 

All my life people told me I looked like my mom. (She passed in 1994).  I honestly never really saw a big resemblance. Mom was Mom and I was me! Well, I posted the above photo on Facebook (yes, I have a Facebook account, but honestly don't post much there) to let my brothers know about the hair change. They have either no hair or white hair as well. My niece commented, like most people who knew her, that I looked so much like my mom now.  And she posted the photo below:

I know it's not the best photo of her, but I can finally see a bit of the similarities in this side by side!
{Hi Mom! Love you and miss you! Hope you are having a wonderful birthday today with Dad and Jim. :) }

And to finish off this post with something creative, here's something I've been working on coloring this past week. There's a new 30 Day Coloring Challenge and I want to participate. In addition to a Facebook account, I also have an Instagram account and am actually much more active on there than on this blog. https://www.instagram.com/crafterjeanne/ if you are interested


Jeanne Tomshack 
This is a background stamp from Simon Says Stamp and it's called Center Cut Heart Background. I heat embossed the image in white embossing powder onto Bristol smooth cardstock and colored it in with my Zig Clean Color Real Brush markers and a waterbrush. I also added a bit of White Gold from the Starry Colors palette of Gansai Tambi watercolors. I love the shimmer it adds.

Here is another background I colored with my Zigs and made into a card. This one is Center Cut Kaleidoscope background from Simon Says Stamp. I was completely inspired by this post from Debby Hughes on Lime Doodles Designs blog. I used some Close To My Heart Spring Iris cardstock, a gift card die, heat embossed with the same image on the die cut and a Reverse Confetti sentiment. Oh and the sentiment on the card front is from Simon Says Stamp and is from Stained Glass Love set. 

Jeanne Tomshack

Jeanne Tomshack

Jeanne Tomshack
Okay, I think that is enough for one post!

Thanks so much for stopping by. I hope you are having a happy, creative day!
Jeanne


10 comments:

Alanna said...

Hi Jeanne - so nice to see you on your blog here. And of course I've already seen your new photo and look but I have to tell you again how striking you look. I can't believe people would think you were your girls' grandmother - they just need to look at your face and not the hair color. You really pull this off well and how nice it must be to not have to worry about coloring your hair and taking care of the roots.

And I can see a resemblance between you and your mother. She's been gone a long time - that must have been difficult. Hugs!

Your card looks amazing. You were brave to cut into that beautifully colored panel but it was well worth it. And how fun that you did the inside as well with the gift card pop-up.

I hope you are having a wonderful day. I'm still in the gall of bitterness that the Patriots are once again headed to the super bowl. :(

Darnell said...

Hi Jeanne! How wonderful to see you on your blog and I love the REAL you! Your white hair is so pretty! My uncle had that kind of snow white fluffy hair and I wanted mine to look just like it, so I'm envious because mine comes in a snitty gray. Guess I didn't get that gene! So you just rock it mama! Like commenting "when is the baby due?" (happened to me more than once!) to commenting about hair, people should just stick to pleasantries!! I do see a resemblance now to your sweet mom!

Now about your coloring! WOWZA, my friend! I can't handle IG (just one more thing, you know!), but I'm glad you are sharing your beautiful talent there and I'll love it whenever you blog, too! Your backgrounds are nothing short of divine and then the resulting card is a knockout birthday gift card!! Hugs, Darnell

Sharli Schaitberger said...

Hi Jeanne - love the new photo, I had never realized your hair was so white (guess I thought "blonde"? )
But you look great! I can see a slight resemblance to your mom, although her face is more angular. I wouldn't have picked up on it, I don't think. I wonder if you aren't a perfect mixture of both parents! I know I have been told first one parent, then the other, as I aged. Now I can see even my mom's mannerisms in myself! It's quite shocking! But seriously - I loved her very much and miss her so if I am turning into her that's okay by me!

Now - about the card - it's delightful! What a beautiful kaleidoscope image! The colors you used are just amazing (so I'm thinking that the coloring books have really paid off!). Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! Hope things are good for you! Hugs!!

Patti said...

Hey Jeanne! I hardly recognized you!! : ) I am thrilled for you that you have such beautiful white!! Mine is a stupid gray except the underneath back section is brown - which I never ever had brown hair in my life! LOL so where did THAT come from giggles!! My husband went gray in his 20s but colored it until he was about 47. I stopped coloring mine for the same reason you did when I turned 50 and it is what it is : ) I like Darnell calling hers a snitty gray heeheehee I might use that one from now on.

You look beautiful and your face looks young. People would know you were young if they just stopped to look : ) Very pretty!

I see my Mom (passed away in 1996) every time I look in the mirror. I am almost as old as she was when she died - it is kind of strange to think of.

Jeanne I am writing a book here! LOL but your art is nothing less than stunning! I mean that my friend. Beautifully done and over the top amazing colors you selected : ) I'm happy for you that you have a hobby you love and that you do so well.

(((Hugs)))
Patti

Loll said...

So great to see you posting on your blog, Jeanne!! I had noticed your new photo on email ... you look great. What beautiful hair you have. I have a similar story of going gray in my 20s. Coloured my hair for years while I was working. But then just got tired of it and stopped. I was in my 40s by then. Now I'm totally gray ... I wish it was white --- so much prettier.

I'm not on instagram, so I'm really happy you've posted several cards here today. They are all so beautiful and unique. Love your colouring with your zigs ... great work! xx

Kay Miller said...

So happy to hear that you will be putting more on your blog this year! I've missed it :) Your hair is very pretty! I love the color! And you don't look like a grandmother. These youngsters just think anyone with gray hair is a grandmother! heheh! Wonderful photo of your mom! I do see some resemblance! Your coloring is gorgeous! I'm loving what you're doing with this Zigs! Such beautiful colors! And the card you made with it is just stunning! So happy to see you creating! I hope this year brings you much happiness! ((Hugs))

Anita in France said...

Great to see you here, Jeanne ... and to see your hair so natural and fabulous! You might like to know that in France there's a growing trend of 'going natural' without hair colour ... apparently, lots of the elegant lovelies in Paris are allowing their grey and white to shine, so you're right on trend! Your backgrounds are stunning (I'm not on Intagram so didn't see them) ... such awesome colouring ... they're like stained glass ... just beautiful! Hugs, Anita :)

Jeanne J. said...

I saw you and I have the same spelling of our names and popped by for a visit! Nice to meet you Jeanne! My dad has had white hair since he was in his 20's also! It looks beautiful on you! Your cards are GORGEOUS! The coloring is total eye candy! My zig clean color real brush markers never turn out this pretty! You've inspired me to try again!

Karen Dunbrook said...

Love, love your cards...they look fab.
Isn't it nice to have a refresh, makeover. It all looks great. Congrats and keep showing us your lovely cards.
:) Karen

Barb said...

I love, love, love that you've chosen to accept yourself the way you are! Isn't that freeing? You look beautiful. Very calm and relaxed. And not at all like a grandma! Ugh! People can be so presumptuous and rude! You continue to be your authentic self! I love it!:) And, I do see the resemblance between you and your mom. That's lovely!

Your artwork is fabulous! You've mastered those Ziggies,Jeanne! Your blending is perfect and the colors are so very pretty. I enjoy following your journey on Instagram. I'm not on Facebook very much, either.

I love that you've participated in the 30 Day coloring challenges and that you're watercoloring, too! I'm looking forward to what you're going to do next!

Keep on crafting my sweet friend!
Hugs,
Barb