Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Distress Oxides + Distress Glaze = Cool!

Hello!

Thanks so much for the wonderful comments about my new blog look. I am so very happy with it. 

Happy Valentine's Day! Hope your day has been filled with fun and love in whatever form makes you happiest. I got to spend a little time playing today (which made me very happy), and I wanted to share what I created.

Last week, I came across this blog post by Laurel Beard. In the post she talked about a technique she had seen in a video using Distress Oxide inks and Distress Glaze on glossy cardstock. She shared what she did in a video on her blog. I was so intrigued. It almost looked like alcohol inks. I didn't make a video, but I tried the technique myself and took some photos. 

First up, I smeared some Distress Oxide inks onto freezer paper and spritzed with water. The colors I chose were Salty Ocean, Picked Raspberry and Twisted Citron. Later I added Peacock Feathers and Wilted Violet. 

Then I smooshed a piece of glossy cardstock into the inks and dried it with my heat gun. Drying the inks is very important. I added another layer and dried it. I added more ink onto my freezer paper and smooshed again. I think I smooshed 3 or 4 times. Drying the paper between smooshings. I ended up with this. Which looks pretty cool all on its own. Kind of chalky, but neat.
But look what happens when you start to add Distress Glaze (I bought mine at Michaels with a coupon). I only added it to half the page so you could see the difference. Wow, huh? Isn't that fascinating?

And here is the piece all done. I buffed off the glaze with a paper towel after I was all done. The glaze makes it shiny and waterproof. I really like all the layers of color you can see. 

When I was done, I looked at my freezer paper and saw this
I thought the colors looked so cool, so I took a small piece of glossy cardstock and smooshed  and dried a bunch of times getting this result.
When I started adding the glaze, it looked like this
And finally, I got this result. Gosh, those colors are so pretty!
I will eventually make these into cards, but for now, it was so much fun playing! Thanks, Laurel for sharing what you found and making the video. If you want to see it in action, check out her blog post, linked at the top of this post. 

Finally, I got this shot of our dog, Ollie, recently and thought I'd share. He's a silly, goofy dog, but seems to finally be settling down a bit. His nickname is Goober, because he is such a goober! I liked how this picture came out with his head tilting. I was saying his nickname. 


Thanks so much for stopping by! I hope to share again soon!

7 comments:

Loll said...

That glaze makes a huge difference, Jeanne! The colours are so much more intense. I'll have to look into getting some of the glaze! Always fun to play with a new technique, isn't it??!!

Ollie is a sweetie!! LOVE his nickname! xx

Laurel said...

Wow! So gorgeous! I have to try that technique one day! Cute dog :)

Kay Miller said...

Well I have never heard of or seen this technique, but it looks amazing! What a difference adding the glaze made! So rich looking! Will have to give this a try sometime! I can't wait to see the cards you make with these! Oh Ollie is so darn cute!! I would love to give him a big squishy hug! So glad he is fitting into the family now! He looks like a keeper :) ((Hugs))

Sharli Schaitberger said...

The glaze really changes the intensity and depth of the colors! I LOVE it!
Love Goober, too - he looks like a real sweetie!

Anita in France said...

Such cool backgrounds, Jeanne ... without the glaze, soft and dreamy ... with the glaze, vibrant and saturated! Either way, they're delicious! Sweet photo ... Ollie looks a cutie! Hugs, Anita :)

Anonymous said...

Oh Jeanne. I love all the pretty colors that you made. It reminds me of tie dyed shirts. :) Hugs, Tamara

Barb said...

You are having some fun with those inks! I'm loving it!

Your little dog looks like a sweetie! I hope he brings you and your family years of happiness. :)