Sunday, July 26, 2015

Leafy Thanks Card

Hi There!

I know it's not fall yet, but I recently saw the Autumn issue of Cardmaker magazine and couldn't resist the cover art. Oh so pretty! There are lots of fun techniques and card inside, too. I wanted to make that cover card!! So I did my best with what I had on hand.

(click to enlarge if you like)

I don't own the creative medium stuff that the cover card has on the background piece. I really do like how shiny and vibrant it looks, but didn't want to spend the money it would cost to get the stuff for possibly just one card. I got to work seeing if I could mimic the look with my crafty supplies. I tried some Perfect Pearls, but realized I don't have any fixative.  So, while it looked good, I couldn't "keep" the look from rubbing off. Darn. I tried blending some inks on white paper. Nope, no good. Hmmmmmm I found some Brilliance pigment pads from several years ago in Galaxy Gold and Cosmic Copper. So, I used those on black cardstock. It looked okay and still had a bit of sheen. Yay. I dried the first layer with my heat gun and blended another layer on top of that and dried it again. Good enough. I used a Darice woodgrain embossing folder to get the texture. 

The original piece used a tag, but I don't have any tag dies and I spent so much time working on the background piece, I didn't want to fuss with pulling out a die cutting machine and searching for a tag cut. So I opted for a Sizzix arched die. I cut that out of vellum and stamped the Lawn Fawn thanks (from the Happy Everything set) in Versafine black pigment ink and clear heat embossed that. Next, I cut a bunch of Lawn Fawn stitched leaves from various colors of cardstock(mostly DCWV, but also Ocean cardstock from Close To My Heart). I inked the edges with some Close To My Heart inks-Ocean, Vineyard Berry and Sunset. Then I hunted down my container of Waxy Flax from when I used to be a Close To My Heart consultant many, many moons ago. I also found some hemp. Tied some bows and adhered those down with glue. I wanted to add some sequins or something, but I don't have any in fall colors. I decided on some Dew Drops (remember those???).

All in all I am very satisfied with the end result. :)

Thanks so much for stopping by. I hope you are having a great day. 
Photobucket

7 comments:

Barb said...

This is beautiful, Jeanne! Absolutely gorgeous colors. You make me long for Autumn.

Darnell said...

I love your fortitude, Jeanne, and how you made do with what you had until it work to achieve an excellent result!! This is an awesome Autumn card!! Hugs, Darnell

Pop's Cards said...

Good morning sweetie, this is just gorgeous I love your colours, hugs Pops x

cm said...

Your autumn leaves tag is stunning, Jeanne! I agree with Darnell: cheering your perseverance and 'adapting' in bringing this tag to life! Gorgeous! Thank you for the traveling well-wishes...we're still on the road (long days of driving) for a few more days...
Hugs~c

Kay Miller said...

Ooooh I love it that you did a fall card! I have already made several fall cards this year! Sounds like you spent a lot of time on this and it was well worth the effort! It turned out stunning! That background is really pretty, and the colors of the leaves and the inking on the edges looks beautiful! I'm dreaming of fall in this humid 90 degree weather we're having! haha! Happy week my friend!

Sharli Schaitberger said...

One smart lady!! Your card looks great! And YES, I remember, and still use, dew drops!
Hugs!

cm said...

Popping in with a 'virtual' hug to thank you for your visits and sweet comments! You make my heart sing!
Happy Friday to you!
Hugs~c