Sunday, April 3, 2011

Spring Happy Birthday Card

Hello!

I had some time to play in my craft spot yesterday and decided to case a card I'd seen on the Scrapping Cookie blog last Sunday. This card. I loved the colors she used and it was pretty straightforward to recreate, well, mostly.

I used DCWV's Cotton Bloom stack and some Coordinations cardstock. Joann's had a special last weekend 5 sheets for a dollar and I decided to see if I could replace similar colors with some that I'm running low on in my stash. I'm not running low on this color, which reminds me a little of Autumn Terracotta (CTMH), but I felt like this was a better solid to go with the colors in Cotton Bloom. The dark orange color is the smooth version of Coordinations and the lighter orange is their canvas textured. I think the smooth stuff is a smidge thin, but it works decently. I think my blade for my trimmer needs to be replaced though.

I really like how this card turned out. Thanks to my inspiration card. Love the crafty folks who generously share their creations!

I used the Create A Critter cartridge for the cutouts. And that's where my mostly straightforward comment comes into play. There are days when you craft that everything goes smoothly and your project comes together easily. All's right in your crafty world. And then there are days like yesterday for me. I have a pretty new blade in the Cricut and a pretty new mat as well (both new within the last week or so). But, for some reason, the machine was cutting like I didn't. Grrrrr. My paper was shifting on the mat, the blade was dragging a little and pulling the paper at the corners. It even cut through one of the flowers! But, I muddled through and got a good cut on the flowers.

I should have stopped while I was ahead at that point and called it a day, but I had another card idea I wanted to create. And it just wasn't going well. More paper shifting, more messy cutting. And more frustration building for me. So, I quit. I cleaned up (which is somewhat of a feat, as when I'm frustrated, I usually just leave in a huff). There were other things I could have worked on, but in the mood I was in, more projects would have ended up in the trash can, so it was better to just stop. Isn't it funny how sometimes the crafty mojo just up and leaves on a whim? LOL

We'll see if I get a chance to try again sometime today. But, in the end, I really like the card I was able to eek out and hope you do too.

Thanks for stopping by and I hope the crafty mojo works in your favor!
Photobucket

10 comments:

Laurel said...

Oh this is so pretty!

Beth aka BR-T said...

Jeanne this is beautiful I love tulips s much!

Erica said...

such a pretty card!

Sharli Schaitberger said...

Jeanne,
What a darling card - the flowers are wonderful and I love the little touches of white you've added! Just perfect!
Hugs!!

Chris said...

Cute card Jeanne. And thanks for the story! Sometimes my projects take forever when my machine doesn't cooperate ;-) ! I thought I was the only one, lol. Also love the card with the hat in the post below. I've just become a new follower. Looking forward to what you will share in the future.

Chris (www.craftemama dot blogspot dot com)

Kim Burmeister said...

Cute, cute, cute! I love how you popped your flowers and the white doodle dots add the perfect touch.

Jena said...

What a darling card - those flowers are too cute! Sorry to hear about your frustrations, I hope your next creative adventure goes a little more smoothly ;-) Have a great week!

Sparkplug17 said...

Such a lovely card! Our toys just need to learn to play nice all the time, lol.

Anke said...

see, that is what happens to me, the messy cutting thing that is! That's why I do digi LOL. Love the card, it's beautiful! I can't even imagine that you would get frustrated, your creations are always so masterful!

Carolyn said...

Such a gorgeous card Jeanne!