Saturday, October 11, 2014

Patchwork Patty-Counted Cross Stitch Project

Hi!

I'm back with my second post for today. I simply couldn't wait another minute to share this. A couple of weekends ago, I went on a little field trip to see a couple of stitchery shops I discovered were nearby. I didn't even know there was such a thing as a stitchery shop, to be honest. In case you aren't familiar with the idea, a stitchery shop sells the patterns, threads, fabrics and doo-dads you need to create stitching projects like counted cross-stitch.  I think I came across the names of them while thumbing through a cross stitch magazine while waiting in line at Joann's. Oh my goodness, the eye candy of all the samples on display! So many projects, so little time! 

I happened upon a magazine called cross-stitch and needlework that had THE cutest little witch on the cover. I was instantly smitten and full of desire to create Patchwork Patty. I bought the magazine and the perforated paper as listed in the supplies from the shop (along with another project, I can't wait to get working on). I figured I either had the rest of the supplies or I could pick them up as needed (and with coupons) from Michaels or Joann's.  I've been stitching like crazy these past couple of weeks and last night I finished gluing all her pieces together. I originally had her glued to some ribbon and had it wrapped around a glass apothecary jar (kind of like she was on the cover of the magazine), but I really wasn't all that thrilled about how it looked. So this morning, I got the idea to put her in a frame, minus the glass. So I snipped off the ribbon. Jessica helped me pick the background paper, and I decided to put a piece of vellum over it to keep it a little more subtle. The frame is one I got at the dollar store at some point, but it was natural wood. Jessica and I painted it black. (Amy was at a basketball clinic this morning so she wasn't available to help).

Okay, enough talk...here she is! Feel free to click on the photos to make them bigger. 

And here she is in the 8x10 frame I had. 

I adore how colorful she is and the bits of sparkle(although the camera may not have picked up much of that). I like the beads and the use of the memory floss(which is basically cotton floss wrapped around some wire to retain the shape you want).  I love the wild and crazy hair. Jessica tried to create a braid, but the strands were too short to do much.  I think it is just so much fun to look at. :)

Such patience and focus...

Here's a link to the magazine I got the pattern from (in case you were interested).

That's it from me today. Thanks ever so much for stopping by and reading my ramblings. 
*Ü*
Jeanne

7 comments:

Sharli Schaitberger said...

OMGSH, Jeanne! She is fantastic!!! I really
Ove the detail! I used to cross-stitch when my eyes were younger. I can see (when I enlarged the photo) incredible detail that is very time consuming and difficult. I love this project and know it will be a treasured decoration for generations! Hugs!

Faye Wynn-Jones said...

I love the vibrant colours. What a fab little project. Thank you so much for all the kind comments you have been leaving me, you make me smile x

Barb said...

How cute is she?! Great job! I love all your crafty ways.

Kay Miller said...

Oh Jeanne!!! She is AMAZING! You have done a beautiful job stitching here! She is so cute and so bright and just adorable! What a fun project to work on for Halloween! Makes me want to get my DMC out! haha!

Alanna said...

WOW Jeanne, this is such an amazing project. You consistently amaze me with what you come up with.

The shop sounds like an absolute delight and I'm so glad you found it.

You have so much more patience in the crafty world than me. I can't imagine the time that this must have taken.

Well done!

Kelly Latevola said...

Oh wow I'm having flashbacks to when I first started cross stitching! It's making me a little sad because it's been so long! She is fantastic! I love her bright colors and that background paper is perfect!!

Michele Kovack said...

She is absolutely fantastic!!! So many fun details!