Sunday, December 13, 2009

Amigurumi Ornaments


I keep seeing that it's less than two weeks until Christmas. I wasn't too stressed about all the goodies I want to make until yesterday, when I realized I still had a bunch of things I wanted to create and not a whole heckuvalotov time to get them made. I don't think I am going to get them all done. But I've decided I'm not going to stress about it. I'll do what I can for the holiday and call it good.

Toward that end, I thought I'd share these ornaments with you. I found the pattern at Joann's...one of those freebie ones you see as you walk around the store. My initial thought was to just make the Santa and the Snowman for the recipients I had in mind. Jessica was looking at the photo and insisted I had to make the mouse, too. Okay, you all know how I feel about mice (well, the real live ones) these days(and we have another one roaming around, darn it). But even I had to admit this little guy was kinda, sorta cute, so I agreed to make him, too. With a slight addition. The pattern called for making two arms and no legs, but I thought a legless mouse might look a little weird, so I added a couple more "arms" and called them legs. Santa is modified a bit as well. The pattern didn't call for the white hat brim, but I felt it needed it. Then the hat looked kind of silly sticking straight up, so I folded it and sewed the fold in place. There, he looks better (we won't talk about his crooked face, 'kay?) And don't look too closely at the snowman's smile. I think it looks kind of creepy, like he's got some not so nice thoughts going on which is so not right to think about this time of year. But, I followed the pattern and placed the smile on after it was stuffed and I really should have added it before. Oh well. Maybe I'll just think of it as a mischievous little smile.

*******

I'm hoping Jessica is not going to end up with what I fear she might...late yesterday she told me her ear hurt. Ugh. Gave her some ibuprofen and it stopped hurting, but apparently she was up during the night (Steve got up with her, I must have been dead to the world). She told me her ear hurt and she had a bad dream. Double ugh. I don't want to have to take her to the doctor and be told she has an ear infection. Although, it wouldn't surprise me, given how stuffed up her head was with that cold/sinus thing she had. Please think good thoughts today that it resolves itself (or share some hints that might help it to resolve itself) so we don't have to get antibiotics. Thanks!

On a positive note, I have been making some good progress on her gift. I'm just about done with the knitting (yay!) and can put it together tonight (hopefully) after she goes to bed.

*****
I forgot to say thank you so much for your good thoughts after our fence incident. I sure appreciate them. I don't think it bothers me (that it happened) near as much as it bugs Steve. But then, I'm not the one who will do the majority of the work to fix it. We won't be making a claim, I think it'll cost less than our deductible. What bugged me more is that the person didn't take responsibility for it. Accidents happen, the road is snowpacked and icy. Own up to your mistake, don't take the coward's way out. But what goes around, comes around, right? It's a done deal and we will just take care of it. Maybe that person drives by and thinks about what they did and does better if there is a next time with someone else.

Thanks so much for stopping by! I hope your Sunday is a good one and your week is productive and happy!
Photobucket

11 comments:

Laurel said...

Love the little guys, they are so cute!

Kathi Carlson said...

Very cute! Love them - even the mouse!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for Jessica. No one needs sick kids at this time of the year.

Your attitude about doing what you can get done before Christmas is the right one. You're certainly off to a good start.

Hope your day is wonderful!!

Alanna said...

What fun little ornaments. You are so talented. Sorry to hear that there is another "friend" scurrying around your house.

I hope that Jessica does start feeling better.

Lori said...

Your ornaments are so cute. And, yes the snowman looks like he is up to no good. lol. Sorry about the fence. Hopefully it was just some dumb teenage who was afraid to tell his parents.

Sharli Schaitberger said...

Jeanne,

Your little critters are just adorable! Even the mouse - I'm a little surprised at you ;-o

I'm praying for Jessica - ear infections are so miserable.

Keep up the great attitude - you're on the right track!

Sparkplug17 said...

Those are just adorable! I agree, I think the mouse would look weird with arms and no legs. :) I hope Jess feels better soon.

Jena said...

Well aren't those cute! And I'm like you - so many ideas on what to make for the holidays but never enough time! Let's keep the good attitude and be happy with what we DO get done!

I hope Jessica is feeling better - ear infections are no fun - I had one this spring (first one that I can remember) and it sure made me feel bad for my kids!

Have a great week - I hope yours is happy and productive as well!

Kim Burmeister said...

These are sooo cute! You are so creative and I can't wait to see what you made for Jessica. I hope she doesn't have an ear infection either. Wishing her well!

Stay safe and warm!

mE said...

I love these little critters! Super cute! I even love the snowman's "wicked" smile... It's like he's thinking something naughty or sneaky or "I know something you don't know"-ish. LOL!

Hope Jess's ear gets better soon! Hope it's not an ear infection!

Hugs!

Erin

Sarah said...

Ohh these are OHHH so darling.
I hope you don't end up with sick kids. I am SO glad Amy had her surgery and we have NO MORE ear infections and strep throat...what a difference it's been this year. Having them home helps.
Reading your post about the snowmans smile made me laugh as Alli and I were checking out the cakewrecks blog and just BUSTING up at some of the funky santas and snowmen they had on there.

Carolyn said...

These are really cute!
I hope Jessica is feeling better!! Sam just finished a 10 day round of meds for a sinus infection.
Sorry to read you have a mouse again. Have you thought about borrowing your neighbors cat for a few days? It would probably take care of those little critters for you.