Sunday, June 5, 2016

Fairy Friends Magical Day and Colored Seahorses!

Hi there!
We sure enjoyed our first week of summer break. It really had a low key feel. But next week, Amy will be volunteering at a STEM camp at the high school. It's the same event she participated in last summer, only this time she will be helping out. She's looking forward to that and also the start of marching band practice.  So, we'll be a tad busier. 

I have been working on doing some cleaning up around the house. The kind of projects I kept putting off because I didn't have time, or more likely, the energy to tackle during the school year. That's felt good. The weather was nice, not to cool and not too warm. I think this next week we are supposed to have a good dose of heat, though. The swamp cooler is up and running, so we should be able to stay cool. 

I've been checking out You Tube a bit more than I have in the past. My girls watch it constantly and while I've watched videos, they are usually the ones that I have been made aware of via blogs. I have never sought out a particular You Tuber and subscribed. Well, somehow, last week, I came across a video by Johanna Basford, the artist who has drawn The Secret Garden, The Lost Ocean and The Enchanted Forest coloring books(I own all three, but haven't colored in them much). I was captivated. She has a lovely accent and her studio looks amazing. She has done a tutorial on coloring the seahorses in The Lost Ocean and I love, love, loved the color combination. That inspired me to follow along and color the seahorses. I did the one on the left first last week and then colored the one on the right yesterday. I did it mostly the same, but changed a few things as well. I'm itching to color the rest of the page. Most likely after I publish this post. :) Anyway, I've been having fun subscribing to  and watching different You Tube channels.
This morning I watched a video on coloring a dragonfly...so pretty! 
This You Tube stuff could become quite the rabbit hole for me...much like Pinterest or Instagram, I'm sure. 

I also came across a card on a Lawn Fawn Flickr Friday post here and I fell hard. So much so that I had to recreate it for myself. I put a couple of different elements in it to make it more my own, but I stayed as true as I could to the color scheme. As close as I could using my pencils. 

I'm only sad that you can't really see the sparkle on this card. I've used Wink of Stella and the Stardust Gelly Roll pen  and it didn't get picked up on the camera. I tried it standing up above and laying down, below. 
Oh well.
Guess you'll just have to trust me that it's sparkly in real life. ;)

That's it from me for now. I truly appreciate you stopping by. 
I hope you have a great day!
Photobucket

5 comments:

Pop's Cards said...

Good morning sweetie, this is gorgeous I love the images and your colour choices, hugs Pops x

Kay Miller said...

Oh my goodness!! I don't know where to start! Your coloring of the seahorses is stunning! The subtle shading is just gorgeous! And seriously, that just looks fun! The little lawn fawn fairy scene... OH!! It's darling! What a cute card! And colored so beautifully and everything placed in such an adorable little setting! You're amazing!! :)

Anita in France said...

What amazing colouring on those seahorses, Jeanne ... they're gorgeous ... just stunning! Such a cute little fairy scene ... I see shimmer from here ... and it's deliciously sparkly and twinkly ... adorable! Anita :)

cm said...

Look at you with these GORGEOUS seahorses, Jeanne! Colours and shading: in awe! You create magic with your pencils. Looks like we had a 'channeling' moment with our recent showcases of these amazing creatures. I, too, have a colouring book (can't recall which one and I'm far too lazy to run upstairs to look, but I'll let you know) and have only gone so far as to 'start' colouring some pineapples. Totally engaging for sure...have to hold myself back, otherwise neither cards nor chores would get done *grin* Your first 'lazy' days of summer sounds wonderful; a chance to regroup before embarking on some busy, yet fun-filled days. I have cleaning up on my agenda: so many things that need to be tossed/recycled. Hopefully, I'll get that done in July at some point. Now...this marvelous fairy card of yours! Oh my! I want to don my fairy wings and step right into that scene! I just know that sweet little toadstool house has a craftroom, fully stocked, and those darling fairies and snail are coming for a card-making bee! Ultra sweet...just like its designer!
Hugs and love~c

Barb said...

Jeanne! I love your seahorses! You've done a wonderful job with them! Isn't Johanna's voice enchanting?! I really enjoy watching her videos.

Your fairy card is so very sweet. I love the little scene you've created. Your ink blending looks fabulous and you know I'm a BIG fan of your pencil coloring skills. :) I like that vellum strip you used for your greeting, too. Your white dot accents and sequins are the perfect finishing touch on this super cute card!

Hugs!
Barb :)