Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Did Some Fall Decorating This Morning...

And it sure is making me smile. *Ü*

I've checked out the thrift stores and didn't see anything that grabbed me there, so this morning I headed over to Hobby Lobby to see what they had. Would you believe I hadn't stepped foot in that store in weeks? (I used to go in at least once a week) Anyway, I knew they had their fall decorating items for 50% off and I took advantage of it. I then scooted over to Michaels and found a couple of more things I liked (on sale).

On the breakfast bar (which got cleaned off yesterday):
I had the placemat and the jars already. I just got goodies to fill them. The wooden pumpkin is from Hobby Lobby. I loved the design on it. I filled one jar with candy corn (obviously), the jar behind the candy corn is filled with pumpkins I found in a mesh bag at Michaels. Next to the pumpkin jar is a one stuffed with ribbon. I found the spool at Hobby Lobby. And the other jar is full of leaves. I picked up a garland at Michaels and ended up pulling off the leaves. Then I cut those into individual leaves and put them in the jar. I had some left over and just placed them around the display. I'm really pleased with the effect.

Outside on the porch:

The placemat is felt and I found it at Michaels. The goodies you see here are from Hobby Lobby. I found a couple of picks I liked and used them for the backdrop, a few leaves from that garland I cut apart and the pumpkins were just some I liked. The larger pumpkin on the side of the basket I fell in love with.

And for the hanging planters I had been thinking of pulling down and putting away, I'm glad I didn't. Michaels had some picks on sale for $1.49 so I got three. I got a long garland (20ft) from Hobby Lobby and cut it into thirds. Then I wrapped it around the picks.


I didn't want to get much that was specifically Halloween as my plan is to keep these out until Christmas time, that way I get more bang for my buck. That being said, on the railing on the porch I do have some pumpkin lights I picked up at a thrift store for $2. Only I didn't take a picture of that. Oh well. I will if you want, though.

I'm totally playing hooky from housework today, but I figured with all the work I've been doing recently, it's okay. All work and no play makes Jeanne a dull girl, right? And a tired one!

One final note on things that make me smile. One of the cabinets we have under the breakfast bar is a huge dark cavern. Our breakfast bar was made by the previous owner. Actually there was a whole wall there and the previous owners knocked it down to open up the kitchen. As a result, they had to modify the cabinet situation. So this particular cabinet is rather large and it didn't have any shelves. Guess what it became? A dumping ground of stuff. I've long wanted a shelf for it so I could attempt to neaten it up in there but I always put it off, not being able to come up with an inexpensive idea. That is, until this past weekend. I asked Steve if he had any left over plywood. I knew we had some brackets. My thought was to hang up the brackets and put up a shelf on them. Steve didn't think it would work without tipping over (the brackets could only go on two sides, the back and one side of the shelf). But he thought we could use a two by two as a leg to support it. That led me to decide to not use the brackets at all and just 2x2s. We didn't have enough of the 2x2, but a quick trip to the Home Depot fixed that. Steve had a spare piece of lumber that we used and he screwed the "legs" on. In a matter of minutes we had a shelf for that cabinet! (believe me when I say I've wanted to do something with that cabinet for years). So simple! I'm tickled to death about it. (It doesn't take much, does it?) Anyway, when I pulled out all the stuff from the cabinet, I found the jars which led to the decorating spree. See how it works? LOL

I'm done now...have a great day and thanks so much for stopping by!
Photobucket

16 comments:

Sparkplug17 said...

I love your decorations! I miss going to HL!

mE said...

Oh Jeanne!

you HAVE been busy while I've been away! I LOVE your decorations! I especially love that wooden pumpkin... I think I am going to have to go out in the woodshop and cut a pumpkin out for my place! I have some ideas rolling round my head for painting it. Thanks for the inspiration!

I, too, am not doing much on the Halloween front... gonna do fall stuff and make it last longer this year :) I will put out a few Halloween thingies just for fun for a couple of weeks. Hung my "Oct" wreath up last night on the front door.

I'm so jealous you have a Hobby Lobby! One of these days we might get one here in UT. :)

Love ya!

mE

mE said...

oh, and good job on getting that black hole cabinet redone! Smart idea to build your own shelf :)

Carolyn said...

Very pretty! Nice job finding all that, and cheap to boot! I bought a fall wreath for my front door a few weeks ago. I may put out a few pumpkins, That's the extent of my fall decor. :) Happy for you, you got your cubby fixed!

Kathi Carlson said...

Love your decorations! And all the better that you got them on sale! I went downstairs to get my fall stuff and discovered the box has been hauled off to the dreaded storage unit. Guess I'll have to make a trek across town to retrieve it. LOL. Cool about the homemade shelf! Cooler yet that you took a day off. Hope it was a good one!!

Sharli Schaitberger said...

Giggle, I'm still chuckling about your train of thought! I do things that way, too! I'm happy for your newly useful cabinet - and the decorations are wonderful!

Success!

Sarah said...

Ohhhh I LOVE your fall decorations...and what bargains!
I feel like I have lived at Home Depot with all the 'jobs' may Dad has done over the last couple of weeks.

Laurel said...

Looks so good! I haven't had the chance to go and dig my stuff out!

Barb said...

WOW! You know I am lovin' this post!! Your decorations are wonderful. TFS

Alanna said...

Jeanne, I love hearing about your stories. I'm so glad you got the shelf you wanted and that it led to your recent decorating. I love all the decorations. Maybe most of all the jar with candy corn. I'm a huge fan of candy corn. Anyway, looks great!

Jena said...

Love your decorations! We finally pulled out the fall decorations this last weekend but then it snowed so I feel like I need to get our winter decorations out instead ;-) Love that wooden pumpkin and your fun jars - TFS!

gloria in Utah :) said...

Love your posts. I read, but don't comment very often...however, today is the exception.. I went to the link for the cleaning tips and OH MY HECK...what a goldmine!! I wrote down several 'recipes' and I tried the one for the wood floors and it's the only thing I have EVER found that actually WORKS!! I'm doing the happy dance!! Of course, I have saved the site. I will check every Wed. Thanks SO much!!

gloria in Utah :)

Kim Burmeister said...

Jeanne, these are great ideas! I love the jars filled with treasures. You are so creative!

stampmonkey said...

Wow, Jeanne --you always amaze me with how much you accomplish! I love all your fall decorations (inside and out), and had to smile when I saw the mason jar with all the candy corn...I just filled ours on Tuesday, and it's identical, size and all!

Kudos to you guys for coming up with your shelf solution!! Nice when a project turns out to be simple like that. ;)

AaronB said...

Been out of the loop for a few days and trying to catch up. I really enjoy reading about you and your happenings!!
Love the fall jars I might just have to copy!

Carol said...

I love your fall decorations. I wish we had stores like that over here.