Saturday, October 30, 2010

Copying Kathi

Whew, all of my driving duties are done for today. Yay! In between getting one girl where she needed to be and the wait until I had to get the other girl where she needed to be, and then the short time I had before the whole pick up routine began,  I managed to work on a card. The girls had a great time at their events and Amy's team even won their basketball game! (I didn't get to go because I had to pick up Jessica). Steve didn't get pictures because he was asked to keep score today. 16-2 was the final score. Whoohoooo! Makes up for the loss last week. hee, hee.

This card was completely inspired by Kathi's card here. Isn't it gorgeous?! I wanted to try my hand at it. I didn't have the Tim Holtz Antique Linen distressing ink, but I took care of that by stopping by Michaels on the way home from dropping Jessica off. I also completely splurged and bought myself a new EK Success border punch. It's called Chinese Knot and it reminds me of the lattice die you can get from SU.

Kathi, I hope you don't mind my copying your idea! Hope I did it justice...
I didn't have any text paper, or a text stamp, so I used the companion paper to the Silhouette paper pack. Because the punch is wider than the one Kathi used, I opted not to put a sentiment on the front. I also had a scrap of black grosgrain ribbon on my desk from the garland I shared yesterday, so I used it. I used Kathi's idea about keeping the cut paper in the Nestabilities die (I think she saw the idea somewhere) and sponging ink inside the open area of the die(why I wanted needed the Antique Linen ink). I also sponged  it on the swirly paper, to soften the look a bit. I'm really pleased with how it turned out. Oh, you can't tell, but I did pop up the stamped image.

Thanks so much for the inspiration, Kathi!

Thought I'd share a few pictures from the Trunk or Treat last night. 
The girls had a blast. The weather was wonderful and the event was very well attended.
 Waiting in what turned out to be a very long line. Darn that over exposure! Amy's hat was at the mercy of the breeze. I don't "do" their faces up with make-up, though.
 That spooky head in the middle was a guy. His hand was also poked through the table and they put the candy right by it. You didn't know if he was going to grab your hand or not. Jessica nabbed hers successfully, but Amy was hesitant to try, so the helper gave it to her. 
The trunks were pretty well decorated to the hilt. It's neat that the parents and teachers got into it. Some were a little gruesome, but not too over the top.

This trunk was actually a hearse! I probably should have taken a picture of it, but didn't want to hold up the line. I liked this scene on the ground in front of it.

This was the hearse guard? He scared some kids, but thankfully not mine!

Fun bug, full of skeletal stuff. Too bad that main one is facing away, it had red eyes that flashed.

Loved the aliens.

After going through the trunk line, they had a couple of games for the kids to play. Spider toss...you can kind of see Amy's ring, it was red.

Bean bag toss.

Steve met up with Hattie's dad, Duane and they chit chatted for quite awhile. Which meant our kids could go back and try again, and again, and again at the games. They got a little prize whether or not they "won." The prizes got nicer the better they did, I think. Susi was working the event, so I people watched and enjoyed the scene.

Thanks so much for stopping by!
I hope your weekend is going well.
*Ü*
Photobucket

9 comments:

Laurel said...

Super pretty card and I love all the Halloween pictures.

Alanna said...

Your card is super gorgeous and I think you totally did Kathi proud. I'm glad you splurged and got a new punch. I just LOVE all the border punches.

Your girls look great and it looks like people really got into the spirit with the decked out trunks.

Sparkplug17 said...

Your card is lovely! I love the aliens too and glad everyone had a fabbie time!

Beth aka BR-T said...

Wow the card is beautiful!!! This was the first year for the trunk or treating for us, it was a great idea! You girlies looked cute.

Kim Burmeister said...

Jeanne, very pretty card! You had wonderful inspiration from Kathi.

Love your Halloween pictures. The decorated trunks are awesome! Love the hearse guard.

Happy Halloween!

Jackie said...

looks like the kids had a great time at the trunk and treat party :)

Kathi Carlson said...

What a compliment! And that punch it awesome. Glad to enable you a bit. You've been too darned frugal lately. LOL.

The girls look great, and what a cool event that is. I saw on Facebook, our little guys went Trick or Treating for a couple of hours tonight with their mom. I bet they fell asleep fast after all that fresh, cool air.

Have a great week, Jeanne!

Anonymous said...

Jeanne,

It looks like the girls had a fun Halloween and thank you so much for sharing them with all of us. I really enjoy hearing all about what you're doing.

Hugs,
Tamara

Barb said...

Your card is lovely! I love that paper pack. I understand completely about the Tim Holtz ink. I've got quite the collection. I'm learning different ways to use them by watching Jen McGuire and others on YouTube.

Your Halloween celebration looks fun...your pics are great...some of them are really scary! That's the part I don't like about Halloween. :-/

Glad your girls had fun, tho'.