Friday, February 18, 2011

Feels Like Spring...

Hello and Happy Friday to you! I hope you've had a great week and are ready for a fun and relaxing weekend. Boy, the week definitely flew by for me. I've been tackling a few not so fun, but much needed projects around the house this week. Our bathtub surround got a good scrub and the pantry got a much needed purge and straightening up.

Today I was able to head into the craft space and work on a couple of cards. The weather has been very spring like this week and I do believe that has influenced what I decided to work on today. Well, that and a very cool card idea I discovered on a blog I discovered this morning called Creations With Christina. Specifically this video showcasing a card/tab feature on the Paisley Cricut cartridge. Yes, I'm still having lots of fun with the Cricut. So, if you were hoping for a stamped project, I'm sorry, this doesn't have any. I am hoping you will like it anyway. *Ü*

Here's what I created:

What I learned is that there is a card/tab feature on this cartridge. And this cut I can actually DO on the baby Cricut. I had to cut it at 4 1/2, because any larger and it would be too long for my mat. I thought the fold and closure was fun and different:
I'll bet you could use this as the front of the card, but Christina's video showed how you could cut the card and the cutout of the butterfly that would fit perfectly. I never paid much attention to this in the booklet as I know cards are tough to cut the right size on my size bug. Isn't this a fun card? I used Berry Sweet(K & Co) for the pattern paper and Kiwi and Bubblegum (CTMH) cardstock. I ran the Bubblegum through the Cuttlebug and sanded the dots to get the white. Gosh, I haven't done that for a long time! The flowers are Prima (from Alanna...thanks again sweetie). The glittered brad is from Paper Studio at Hobby Lobby (If I remember right) and the ribbon is CTMH. I pop dotted the circular piece and varied from my inspiration card by adding the Kiwi as the background. I just didn't like the white. Then I added some pen stitching. I had a blast creating this. 

But wait! I had fun on the inside, too!
This cartridge also has a "button" feature. I felt like dressing up the inside (being inspired by Christina's card), but I didn't want to add more bulk with a flower/brad combo. So, I cut the same butterfly shape as a button at one inch, then at 1 1/4 inch using Kiwi. I love how it turned out. A nice, finishing touch, I think. And this would still fit in a standard envelope. Whoo, hooo!

I had the cutout butterfly from the window and wanted to use it. Christina showed another cut that is actually a nice envelope, but the cut (to allow the card to fit into) is too large for my Cricut. So, I set out to create a standard sized card. 
Here is what I ended up with:
I used the button feature again and cut the pink butterfly at 3 inches. So, I layered the pattern butterfly on top to see if it would look good and I really liked it. After cutting the mats, I felt like it needed something. Then I remembered some doilies I purchased a while back and keep forgetting I own. I'm very happy with the final look. The butterfly probably could use some more bling, but sometimes keeping is super simple works, too, right?

So, that's it from me for today. I thank you so much for stopping by and I hope you have a wonderful start to your weekend.
Photobucket

8 comments:

Alanna said...

What fun and cheery cards Jeanne. I love all the details, especially the doily on the second one.

I'm glad you're enjoying our gorgeous weather. Although yesterday, it was SUPER windy out this way. Today is just gorgeous, though.

Enjoy the rest of your Friday!

Jena said...

So fun and springy (is that a word? ;-) It has been so unseasonally warm here as well - most of our snow has melted, but there is supposed to be a storm coming in this weekend, so I shouldn't get too comfy with the warm weather. I almost broke out my capris the other day but then remembered that it is still February ;-P Thanks for all the wonderful creations you share - have a great weekend!

Laurel said...

Absolutely beautiful!

Kim Burmeister said...

Wow, Jeanne! These are beautiful! I can't wait to see the butterflies this year.

Sparkplug17 said...

These are just darling! I love the butterflies!

Kathi Carlson said...

I've been gone too long! Going back to your Valentine's Day treat boxes... OMG! Are/were they cute or what?? Your photos of the Cinderella ball are precious - perfect for a scrapbook page. Finally, I LOVE these cards! The colors and butterflies are so pretty. You're doing BIG things with that baby Cricut of yours. Love them all!!

Hope your weekend is great, sweet friend. Glad to hear your weather is springlike, too, albeit a bit jealous. It's frigid again in the frozen tundra.

Carolyn said...

So pretty!! Love all the butterflies!

Anke said...

Beautiful!!! Those butterflies are wonderful! I really like the circle one! Hey, thanks again for proof reading. That one I had already fixed, can you believe it??? :)