Monday, July 28, 2008

Would You Have Missed This?





These are pictures I took yesterday when I drove the girls and I to Estes Park to see these friends. Yes, I drove the van into the mountains. Why would I drive? Because my hubby didn't want to go.

Here's a bit of the backstory. That very nice looking lady is my friend Kelly, who lives in CA. We met when we were in KINDERGARTEN! Yep, that's right, I've known her longer than just about anyone else. We were in a few grades together, then her family moved to a city about 45 minutes away after the 5th grade. That might have been the end of our friendship, but it wasn't. We actually kept in touch! We'd write to each other, and call and plan sleep-overs. I was in her wedding when she married her hubby,Joel, and she was in my wedding. I'm that tall kid in brown's godmother and she's the girls "Auntie" Kelly. She had her oldest son 10 days after my mother passed away and flew out here to be here when I had Amy-that's actually the last time we saw each other. Seven years ago!

When she told me the family was planning a road trip, staying at their timeshare places along the way, and one was in Estes Park (about 1 1/2 hours from where we live) we made plans for us to spend the weekend together. Then I broke my ankle! Just about the only tears I shed were those that fell when I thought I might not be able to see them afterall.

The other night when she called and I asked my hubby if he wanted to spend the day in Estes Park (ie drive us up there), he actually told me, "I have to think about it." Right that second I decided. Think about it all you want (I thought), I'm not asking you again and I am going. So the girls and I went and had a fantastic time. Yes, I was a tad nervous mountain driving with the cast, but it was okay. I didn't do much moving around actually. I'd sit near where they were going to be. They'd drop me off at the door, so I wouldn't have far to hobble. If they wanted to shop, I'd people watch. Or Joel would hang out with me (her hubby) and we'd chat up a storm. The kids had a super time (as you can see) in the lodge pool.

We didn't arrive back home until 10pm and I pretty much hit the bed right after we pulled in. The girls were keyed up and watched a show with their daddy. I heard them tell him, quite innocently, we didn't miss you daddy, because we had such a fun time.

I hope he enjoyed his day alone, because I wouldn't have missed this visit for a mere broken ankle.
my signature 2

12 comments:

Barb said...

You go girl! Just juumped in that van and drove...in the mountains no less! I am glad you're home safely and really glad you decided to go visit with your friends. What a lovely background story...she is indeed a special friend. Hope you're resting today

Barb said...

Just me again. I left you a little goodie on my bloggie! ;D

Kathi Carlson said...

Breaking the rules, eh? Well, good for you. In a world where people tend to "move on" rather easily, maintaining a friendship for a lifetime is very special, and to have Kelly so close, it would have been a shame not to see her. I'm glad for you. As for the hubby, I can totally relate. He was probably still thinkin' about it when you and the girls arrived back home. The "can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em" saying is so-o-o true. LOL. Take care!

Vicki said...

Glad you had a great time. Some friends are friends for a lifetime. Hope you get out of that cast soon!
www.sullyscrapandstamp.blogspot.com

Erica said...

i know that drive up to estes is a rough one...i actually have to take meds to make it.....kudos to you for driving it! and no...i can't imagine having missed out on it like your hubby!

Angela2932 said...

Good for you, Jeanne, my fellow gimp! Yes, sometimes it's just best to not wait for our DHs! I'm impressed that you can drive in mountains at all (they freak me out!) and with a cast, no less! I'm not surprised that your dear friend wanted you as a friend for life, and what a wonderful story about your friendship over the years!

My knee is a "clipped meniscus" and may or may not need to be scoped. I get to wait a few weeks and see what my knee decides. It's swollen, but doesn't hurt, so I'm very optimistic! As in, I'm secretly thinking I'm going to take another try at scuba!

mE said...

Good for you Jeanne!! I am glad you were safe on your little journey, too! It's always so nice to meet up with friends from years gone by. Sometimes it seems like it's only been a few days instead of years when we meet up with our friends again.

Glad you had some fun!

Inky Smiles!
Erin

Felicia Fernandez said...

Wow!!! Seven years is such a long time to not see your best friend. My best friend, Veronica, and I are the same. Friends since Kindergarten, she's Marcellino's godmother, weddings, etc. But I think our longest stretch of not seeing each other is three years. It's sad to hear that Steve wasn't as supportive as you'd like but I know there's no way you'd have missed the chance to see her! I'd have done the same thing. Big hugs!

stampmonkey said...

You're one sassy lady, Jeanne! I like that! lol I'm glad that you and the girls had such a fun time (and that you were safe with your driving). And how neat that you've kept your friendship going all these years. tfs

Maricar said...

Oh Jeanne, childhood friends are totally worth the trip. My "oldest" friend dates back to second grade and while I only see her occasionally, it is such a treat when I do. It made me smile to hear about your trek to see an old friend. That is awesome.

Rachel said...

Looks like you guys had LOADS of fun! Great pics, too! I hope your foot is healing well.

Anke said...

Good for you!! You go girl! Just think what you would have missed had you not decided to go! Having a friend like that is such a treasure, you have to appreciate them.