Thursday, August 27, 2009

Stepping Out...15 Minutes At A Time...

Happy Thursday to you! My friend, Kari, of Kari's Scrappin' Korner, will be so happy. She wrote on her blog that she was going to start walking today, the day her kids started school. She was motivated by Laurel of Laurel's Place because Laurel recently posted her fitness goals, a fabulous album she made and the blog address of her fitness blog. Well, Kari, today I walked "with" you! *Ü* I pulled on my walking shoes and enjoyed a brisk walk through our neighborhood. The weather was gorgeous and I really enjoyed it. The battery in my mp3 player is dead (gotta plug it in), so I just listened to the music of the birds and life in the neighborhood. I actually walked for 35 minutes and realized there are lots of streets in my neighborhood I could walk...some are fairly even and some are on somewhat steep hills. Makes me wish we didn't have snowy winters, but if I can, I'm going to try to walk every week day outside.

As I was walking, I was contemplating starting a new blog for journaling my not specifically crafty posts and ultimately decided against it for now. Mainly because I strongly doubt I'd keep up with it. LOL Plus, I'm trying to streamline things, not necessarily add another to do, to my list (which I'm going to start writing down instead of relying on my feeble memory) of things I want to do! So, forgive the forays into less than crafty topics, if they are not your cup of tea. But, in the end all these things will certainly work towards my Creative Bliss and so to me they would fit as subjects to write about.

I mentioned earlier that I was pretty much gonna try a no buy philosophy or at the most, a very extremely limited buy, in regards to crafty stuff. Gotta work on delinieating between the needs and wants. And I'm applying that to the household stuff, too. Tightening the old belt, as it were. To that end I've been picking up some interesting reads from the library. One book is called You CAN Afford to Stay At Home With Your Kids, and while it was written in the late 90s (so some financial figures are off a bit) the basic principals seem very sound. It made a lot of sense to me about things one can do to be able to live well on one income. I've also borrowed Frugal Living for Dummies, The Complete Tightwad Gazette and The MomsTown Guide To Getting It All. Well, true confession time, when I checked out that last book, I thought it looked familiar and I finally checked my bookshelf...Oops, I already bought that one! So the book went back to the library and I'm reading my own copy. LOL

Anyway, the gist of all this is I'm finally working on some internal stuff that I've been wanting to do in addition to getting the house cleaned up. Mom's starting to take a little bit better care of herself, so she can care for her family better.

Another thing I'm working on is Flylady. I've know about and have been subscribed to her emails for several years (I get them in digest form, not individually, so I get one or two emails a day at most). Frankly most of the time, I glanced at them and moved on to other things in my inbox. But, for the past few weeks I've been reading most of the digests again and gearing myself up for the whole You Can Do Anything for 15 Minutes philosophy.

Speaking of which, my 15 minutes for typing this up are done, so I need to close for now and get working on my household planner. I hope I won't bore you to tears by posting stuff like this (and links) from time to time, but in the end all of this stuff may help me get back out into my craft room. *wink, wink* without feeling any guilt that I'm neglecting something I need to be doing. Maybe it'll help you, in some small way, too.

Have an awesome day and thanks so much for taking the time to visit.

Photobucket

12 comments:

Laurel said...

Good for you for your walking!

Sparkplug17 said...

Yeah for walking today! I miss the Denver sun. :)

Carolyn said...

OMG Good for yoU!! I knew you had it in you. :) I updated this morning.
About Flylady... I haven't really kept up on her site, I should. I hear so many good things about the way she does things.
TFS
You Go Girl!!

Alanna said...

Great job getting out and walking. As far as the other stuff you mentioned, I'd love to hear any tips or insights that you come along.

Sarah said...

I love reading your blog Jeanne...your blogging is easy to read and follow! Good for you that you went walking! maybe I can get motivated.

Kim Burmeister said...

Great job, Jeanne! Sounds like you are getting all the aspects of your life in shape. You go, girl!

Kathi Carlson said...

It's me, echoing in to say "Good for You."

Your mention of FlyLady stopped me in my tracks, as I was just thinking about her the other day.

Crafty or not, I hope you keep blogging about what you're doing. You inspire me in so many ways. I hope you already knew that.

Jena said...

Good for you, Jeanne! It's amazing the difference a little fresh air can make sometimes. I wish you well with all that you are working for! Take care!

Heather said...

Oh, you're my kinda gal, Jeanne! How cool that we're working on practically the same goals right now: fitness, frugal living, streamlining for intentional living. I will be following your progress very closely - you GO GIRL!!!

Shan said...

Good for you and as a blog lurker...this post caused me to step out and say Congrats for making yourself a priority and I'm in a similar place. I'll keep stopping by no matter what you post as you have insight to a lot of things and your creativity is awe-inspiring! Keep it up!

Carol said...

Good for you! And you started so well. I have always wondered what people do who have snowy winters for walks etc

stampmonkey said...

YAY for you! I'm happy that you're starting to walk, and I think once you've been at it for a little bit, you'll likely find that you actually look forward to it. I'm hoping to get back to my exercise routine tomorrow too. It's really important that we moms take care of ourselves because our families rely so heavily on us.

And good for you about trying to adopt a new mindset re being frugal. Keep us posted. ;) I need to break out my books (I have a few of them myself...though they're rather dusty). We just signed up for a 13-wk class called Financial Peace University by Dave Ramsey --he's got some wonderful books/advice on the subject, so I'm hoping we learn a LOT and can adopt his methods. Would've been better if we'd done this YEARS ago, but it's better now than not at all I suppose.

I haven't kept up with Flylady (toooooo many emails for my pre-occupied pea brain to sift through), so I'll be interested to see how to do with it and what tips you find most valuable.

No need to divide up your posts/blogs. I'm good with checking in to one place (honestly, I have a hard time keeping up with any of my fav blogs on a daily...or even weekly...basis, so the fewer the better -lol).