Friday, February 12, 2010

Rice Krispies Valentine Hearts

When I saw this idea shared on the Creative Crate blog, I knew I had to try it as a surprise for the girls and their buddies that we hang out with after school. After helping out in Jessica's class with their Valentine Breakfast this morning, I headed home to begin my project. (Amy's class was doing different Valentine activities throughout the day, they didn't have a party like Jessica's class so I didn't go to her class).

Okay, I'm gonna keep it real here! The idea sounded easy enough. Make Rice Krispie treats, cut out into heart shapes, put in fridge to set and dip into chocolate and sprinkle. Not hard, huh? Well, here's the first batch...

Yep, they fell apart! Argghhhhhh! They apparently weren't set enough(even though they'd been in the fridge for about 15 minutes). So, I tried sticking the next batch into the freezer. Then my dad called and they stayed in the freezer a bit longer than I had planned(oops). They look a smidge better!
(they are on waxed paper, if you couldn't tell). I stuck them upright to let the chocolate set, but I noticed some were still drooping as they warmed up, so after the chocolate set,  I kept them horizontal.
To package them up, I used the idea from the gal on the blog...I got some baggies and cut off the zipper opening, then tied a bit of yarn to close it up.

There were "leftover" scraps that I didn't to just throw away (nor did I want to eat them, I'd sampled a bit of my globby mess in the first picture), then it occurred to me to make Rice Krispie balls. 


By this time I was running out of the melted chocolate, so not all of them got dipped, but I tried shaking some sprinkles on the chocolate-less ones.

It turned out to be a bit more work to create these than I'd anticipated and if I did it again, I wouldn't try to put sticks in them, or make up a large number of balls to dip. LOL

The girls loved them, so it was worth the effort! *Ü*

Hope you are having a happy Friday! Thanks for stopping by!
Photobucket

10 comments:

Sarah said...

I just LOVE them Jeanne!!! YUMMMM esp the fallen apart ones. No wonder the girls loved them.

Sharli Schaitberger said...

You are the BEST-EST Mommy ever! ;-)

Kathi Carlson said...

What I SO admire about you, sweet Jeanne, is your perseverance. At my house, there would have been no second batch. I would have chucked the mess and made a mad dash to the store to buy treats. LOL.

Very cute! If I were a good wife, I'd make these for Marv who LOVES Rice Krispies bars. Hmm... Maybe if HE's nice tomorrow ... LOL.

What's special about those treats is the fact that the girls appreciated them. I know they'll remember them, too - a good thing.

Kim Burmeister said...

Jeanne, you might have had trouble with these, but every batch looks so yummy! My son happened to be walking by the computer and he asked me what is that. I told him and he said, "Yummy!". I think he was wondering why I was looking at these goodies. Maybe I would make them. Ha ha! I will send him right over....hee hee!

Sparkplug17 said...

Sounds so yummy! I'm glad the girls enjoyed them!

Lisa said...

Looks yummy to me! I love how you shared the story!
Lisa

Barb said...

Great post Jeanne! These are my favorite..dipped in chocolate, falling apart or not...I would eat them. Your girls are very blessed to have you as their mommy!

stampmonkey said...

I applaud you for your perseverance, Jeanne! I'd likely have given up and just eaten the whole mess myself before anyone was the wiser (yeah, I'm all for not disappointing anyone -lol). I think you did a great job with them, and it's no surprise that your girls loved them!

Aside from my own mom, I think I'd have to give you the BEST mom award...year after year...cuz your devotion to making your girls smile and feel loved never ceases to amaze me. And I love how you're so good at documenting these things...gotta be sure that they NEVER forget! ;)

Carolyn said...

Regardless they look yummy! You're an awesome mom!!
Have a great Valentine's Day with your sweeties!

Angela2932 said...

Oh, these looks so good! Can I come live in your house for awhile? Just in case your girls are thinking about misbehaving today, tell them how we all think you are the sweetest mom on the planet! Happy Valentine's Day!