Saturday, June 13, 2009

Fun Flower Purse…

Happy Saturday to you! I hope you are enjoying a fine, relaxing day. I sure did, because I holed up in my crafty corner to create a fun flower purse!

Have I ever mentioned how much I love reading blogs? I am always excited in the morning, when I sit down (before every one else gets up), and I read the oodles of blogs I have subscribed to in my Reader. I never know what I will find and where bloggers will take me.

I found out about this fantastic purse via Becky Roberts’, Inking Idaho blog. Just one line (at the very end of the post) that led me to this post on Kathy Orta’s Paper Phenomenon blog. I knew I liked the whole idea, but I didn’t know what a cut file for the Cricut was. Turns out you need the Design Studio to use the cut file (which I guess is all the info for the pieces). But, Kathy offered a tutorial without the cut file and I snatched it up!

Here’s the result…

100_6305 100_6307 100_6306

100_6304

It took the better part of the afternoon, but I think the end result was definitely worth the effort! LOL

I followed Kathy’s very well written and thorough tutorial (which includes the templates needed to create the purse). She used the George & Basic Shapes cartridge and Accent Essentials. I own the George one, but not the other because I have the original Cricut and the AE cartridge comes with the Expressions machine (the big daddy of the Cricut family). So, I used the Walk In My Garden cartridge to cut the majority of the flowers you see. How’s that for a leap? LOL I also used Martha Stewart’s leaf punch and the hydrangea trio punch. There’s another little flower punch in there, too. I think it’s an EK Success one.

I added a bit of texture by running some pieces through a Cuttlebug embossing folder and sponging some ink on the Honey cardstock. And you can hopefully see the bling from the Crystal Stickles and rhinestones.

The colors are all CTMH, Colonial White, Orange, Hydrangea, Watermelon and Honey with Clover Meadow for the leaves.

And if you can believe it, I sponged ink (not extremely carefully) on all the flowers and leaves and used a large embossing stylus to give them a bit of dimension by rolling the ball part  in the center of the flowers.

I think that explains what I used. If you’d like to make a purse for yourself, click over to Kathy’s blog and pick up a tutorial for yourself. Thanks for the inspiration, Kathy! This was fun!

Thank you for stopping by! I hope you have a great weekend!

Jeanne

7 comments:

mE said...

I love it Jeanne! I love your FauxCroc skin, too! :) You did a fantastic job!

Hugs,
E.

Kathi Carlson said...

I might have known you'd be up to something outstanding ...again!!! Your purse is jaw-dropping gorgeous - everything about it - the flowers, colors, texture. Again, outstanding! I won't be trying to keep up this weekend. Erin's challenge done sucked all the mojo out of me. LOL! It was fun and will make for more fun when she posts them. Enjoy Sunday, friend!!

Sarah said...

HOLY SMOKES Jeanne!!! This is totally amazing.
I really am at a loss for words ha ha.
BEAUTIFUL

Barb said...

AWESOME! You did a wonderful job on this! When I first saw it, I had to ask myself if it was paper. LOVE the texture you created with the CB folder. You are truly amazing.

Sharli Schaitberger said...

Jeanne,
This is amazing! I love the way the corners look like real leather - the depth of the colors and all. Your flowers are gorgeous and the purse looks SO REAL!!! It's a WOWIE if I've ever seen one!!!

Kim Burmeister said...

Holy Moly, Jeanne! I couldn't believe this was made out of paper. I love the texture! This is sooo AWESOME! Great job!

stampmonkey said...

This is SO cute, Jeanne!! I love how you used your Cuttlebug to make the faux crocodile skin, and you chose such fun colors! I actually used to have a white leather croc purse with tan accents (oh, about 20 years ago -I used it to death and wore it out!), not too dissimilar to what you've made except that it didn't have any of the pretty flowers on it. BEAUTIFUL job, Jeanne!!