Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Snowflakes-a-Plenty Card

Happy Wednesday to you! Well, the official high temp yesterday was 78, which definitely broke the old record high of 74. Today it's in the upper 60s and still gorgeous. Lest you feel it isn't fair...tomorrow they are predicting temps in the 30s! Yes, you read that right, there is a cold front that is supposed to come through starting tonight. I told you we would pay for this beautiful weather and tomorrow's payback day. LOL

In anticipation of the brrrrrr that's a coming, I decided to make a snowflake card based on a sponging technique I saw a while ago on the Poetic Artistry blog (click link to go to card). I thought this card was SO striking! Maybe it's the pink that appeals to me. In any case, I tried it today using Baby Pink, Blush and Hollyhock inks (CTMH). I did the sponging first, then ran the cardstock through the snowflake embossing folder in the Cuttlebug. The only other thing I can think of to mention is I used the silver version of the sparkly gold I used on a previous card. Yep, I went back to Michaels and picked up the Stardust (transparent) ep by Stampendous. I inked the snowflake in Versamark first, then the color and added the ep and heat set it. I don't think you can see it very well though. If you click on the image maybe you can see it better.

I have two versions to show you because I'm not sure about the one with the white leaves. I think the white is too stark. Maybe I should punch the leaves in the respective cardstock colors? Whatever...here's what I made.

100_5242

100_5243

While the white looks too stark to me, the one without the leaves looks a bit dark, don't you think? ergghhh...now I am second guessing myself. Plus the card looks way better in person, I think!

Stuff I Used:
Stamp: Snowflakes a Plenty (Inkadinkado)
Paper: Grey Wool, Hollyhock, White (CTMH)
Inks: Baby Pink, Blush, Hollyhock (CTMH), Versamark (Tsukineko)
Accessories: Ribbon (from stash), jewel (Hobby Lobby), Cotton Candy Stickles, Stardust (transparent) embossing powder (Stampendous)
Tools: Cuttlebug, Snowflakes embossing folder, Nestabilities, heat gun, sponges

Thanks so much for stopping by! I hope you are comfy and cozy in your neck of the woods.

Jeanne

9 comments:

Alanna said...

Both cards look great. I think I like the one without the white better. What a fun technique.

Angela2932 said...

Jeanne, as cute as these cards are, I think the snowflakes are going to melt at 78 degrees. 78!!!!!??????? Do we live on the same planet? Scary stuff, about the wildfires in CA, and I'm glad your dad is ok. I lived in Southern CA for two years, and I remember those Santa Ana winds and fires. I use to pile my photo albums at the door in case we had to leave fast.

Carol said...

Jeanne your cards are stunning as always. I do like the one without the white but both are still gorgeous.

Congratulations on finishing the poncho, it looks so cute.

Kim Burmeister said...

These are so pretty! I like how you used pink. I might have to try that soon! TFS!

Barb said...

Prety cards! You're on a roll! I like both of them.

Anonymous said...

I guess I'm the odd one out. I really like the white in the card, but perhaps you could have made the main snowflake white??

WHere do you live that the temps would fluxuate that badly? I'm fairly new here, so if you have mentioned it, I wasn't around. I know we have that here where we live, but it's supposed to stay nice for awhile. (smile)

gloria in Utah :)

Felicia Fernandez said...

So cute! But I like the one without the white leaves. Maybe some more sparkle to make it look less dark? Well since you know my mom was here do you want to know what she bought me? You'll hate me of course, but I got a Silouhette. It was $249 with a holiday pack that contained a CD, tools, and 3 rolls of vinyl. AND it also came with a prepaid $25 download card. It was just too good a deal to pass up. I'm trying to decide how I want to use it and make my Christmas cards with it. I'm excited!

Anke said...

I love them both! Of course this is why I like digi, you could just change the opacity, LOL. Seriously your cards are simply gorgeous!

stampmonkey said...

Again, you're being too hard on yourself, Jeanne! You always do beautiful work, so relax! ;) Personally, I prefer the one with the white leaves. It kinda brings out the little white spotlight-effect area on the smaller mat, which I really like too, btw.

Our weather is definitely whacky here! I've not minded the warmer temps we've been having, but I about froze to death Thursday night when I had to be out. At least we're not having earthquakes and fires like we would be if we still lived in CA! Sure wish my older kids would move out too.