Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thankful for...

so many blessings in my life. Happy Thanksgiving to all my friends! For those outside the US, the fourth Thursday of November is a national holiday for us to remember our blessings. While we should be grateful for all of our blessings each and every day, it is nice to have a day where we consciously celebrate them.

I'm thankful for oh so many things...my family, my health, my friends, my home. I'm thankful for the internet...which is a beautiful thing when you are searching for answers, wanting to connect with friends, looking for inspiration.

I've been away from the computer for a few days while I work on this new project:100_5254

It's for this blessing in my life (who has just about wiggled that upper right tooth out and who asked to model this for the picture):100_5255 

 100_5256

This is the beginning of the crocheted poncho I am working on. I am so much more comfortable crocheting. But the other night I was stumped. Again, I haven't crocheted in years and haven't done granny squares in so long I forgot how to join them. I sat on my couch and tried and tried to follow the directions on how to "join as you go" and it just wasn't coming out right. I knew there was one tiny detail (but a very important one) I wasn't quite getting. I went to bed frustrated about it and lamented the fact that my mom isn't here to show me. The next morning I woke up and literally smacked my forehead...if you can look up knitting subjects on the internet, surely there are crochet helpers. So I Googled what I needed and in less than 5 minutes I figured out my problem and was on my way. I literally thought...the internet is a beautiful thing! LOL

So, I am busy working on this. And I am planning a new knitting project...thanks to the internet as well. I saw some beautiful neckwarmers knitted by a blogger and got it into my head that I wanted to try the technique for a Christmas gift or two (hopefully). I contacted the blogger and she very kindly responded with the name of a book that would help me. Well, wouldn't you know...the book is not in stock any where around here and I've spent a good portion of my time looking (on the internet and by calling). But doing some sleuthing brought me to a link or two that were very helpful. I just needed the right length of needles. So began my quest yesterday to find the right length/size of needles (the girls were off from school and Steve off from work). And I have. It took a while, but I was a woman on a mission. When I get something into my head...I can be like a dog with a bone, working on it until I'm satisfied. LOL Knowing I had a long weekend ahead...I didn't want to have to order them and wait for them to arrive sometime in the next week or so.

So, I am thankful for the internet and google and email and blogging. To think, not too many years ago I was completely uninterested in the internet. I mean completely.

I'm thankful for you who read this blog, whether you comment or not. I'm thankful for the ability to share and hope it brings a smile to your face.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Jeanne

4 comments:

Angela2932 said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Jeanne! I'm also thankful for the connection to you, and the smiles you put on my face on such a regular basis. You'd be proud of me, Jeanne! I just finished a CRAFT project! (Yes, me!) I can't post a photo, because I'm using it as a gift for a number of my relatives. It's 4x4 tiles, with 4x4 photos of sweet times together Mod Podged onto them (lots of layers), an acrylic sealer, cork backing. No talent involved. . . unlike YOUR masterpieces! (well. . . except my photos, I hope)

mE said...

Jeanne, you ROCK :) I love the crochet and knit projects you've been posting, I sure wish I could do it... I just don't have the patience.

Hope you have a fabulous Thanksgiving and enjoy your new platter and gravy dish from your sweet dh! WOO HOO! :)

Inky Smiles,

E.

Kathi Carlson said...

So now I know what you've been up to! It's looks like you're off to a great start on that poncho. I so admire your sticktuitiveness (no, that one is not in the dictionary!). As for Thanksgiving, there is SO much to be thankful for, including the Internet and the special friends it's brought my way. Have a great day!

Carol said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family Jeanne.
It is certainly one holiday I wish we had.