Sunday, March 1, 2009

Layered Flower Cards

Hi there! I hope you had a great Sunday! Ours was fine. The girls played with the neighbor kids, Daddy worked on the fence that has a rotten pole and after my Sunday chores, I made some cards.

I was smitten by this card made by Connie Collins of the Constantly Stamping blog. Not only did the layered flower appeal to me, but so did the use of tulle. I almost bought the Sizzix Layered Flower but stopped myself so I could check and see if I had a cartridge for my Cricut that had a similar flower. I'm glad I stopped myself because I have the Walk in My Garden cartridge and it has a very similar flower! Yea! So, I cut a blackout flower in 1 inch, 1 1/4 inch, 1 1/2 inch, 2 inch and 2 1/2 inch to see how well they would layer. As you'll see, I think it worked just fine. I found some tulle and did my best to make it work on two of the cards. You'll have to be the judge and let me know if I was successful.

This first card is the simplest, but I think it looks okay.
100_5644

The paper I used is from the Bungalow paper pad by Marcella by K, which I found at Target a year or so ago. This is the pad that came to my mind immediately when I saw Connie's card. I inked the edges with Hollyhock ink (CTMH). I tried curling the petals just a bit and I added some small pop dots on a few layers to give it a little more dimension. I added a flattened bead cap (from Michaels) and a pearl sticker for an elegant look.

100_5643

This one is pretty self-explanatory. I used paper from the same pad and added a bit of Vineyard Berry and Blush. Both were inked with their respective colors and I also used Vineyard Berry to ink the edges of the flowers. On the blush I used a Martha Stewart border/edge punch and I added a little pearl to the centers of the flowers as well as the main flower.

This next one really appeals to me. I think it has a nice vintage feel to it.

100_5645

The designer paper for this one is from Making Memories' Chloe's Closet paper pack. I used Buttercup cardstock for the flower and Indian Corn Blue as a mat for the pattern paper (both CTMH). I pulled out my oval and scallop oval Nestabilities and stamped the sentiment from Mixed Messages by PTI. The tulle is subtle but adds a nice touch.

I tried to do some quilling, but my efforts weren't working out too well, so I decided three cards was enough for one day. LOL I'm sure I need more practice before I attempt some of the more intricate designs/patterns that I seem to gravitate toward.

Jessica is anxious for me to finish her Widget, so I think I'll close for now and work on that project.

Hope you have a great night and a super first week of March!

Jeanne

8 comments:

Lisa Stenz said...

Jeanne, these are soooo pretty. I never would have thought to use tulle on a card. I love it!!! *Ü*

Kathi Carlson said...

I'll echo Lisa's comment. The tulle is a very nice touch! Funny,too, when I saw the flower, my first thought was "Oh no, now what am I gonna want to buy?" I'd forgotten my neglected Cricut AND the fact that I'd used the same or similar flower for the crumbled paper flowers I made eons ago. You've inspired me to fire that baby up again! The patterns and colors you used are exquisite!

Kim Burmeister said...

Wow, Jeanne! These are soooo pretty!

Alanna said...

All 3 card are wonderful Jeane. I'm with Lisa. I never would have even imagined using tulle on a card. And I love how you did the flowers with your cricut. I think I have that cartridge. Is it bad that I'm not even sure. Hopefully I do so I can do something along these lines. TFS.

mE said...

Jeanne, Jeanne, Jeannnnnnnne!

Oh my goodness these are so pretty and vintagey!!! Yes I made up that word! Now I really want a Cricut or other cutter..... And why did I toss out that leftover tulle from my wedding??

I might have to improvise with something else for flowers and try this card!

GAWWWWWWWWJUZZZZZ, Dahling! Simply GAAAWWWWJUSSSS!

Anonymous said...

Oh Jeanne, you did me proud. I just love the way your cards turned out!
Connie Collins
www.constantlystamping.com

Donna said...

I just love the tulle effect, thanks for sharing.

Barb said...

WOW! These are beautiful! I love the unexpected use of tulle. Great mix of colors and DP, too. You are very talented...I wish you lived closer, we'd get into some serious crafting trouble! I want to live by you though, you have Michaels, JoAnn, Hobby Lobby AND Archivers. That is just not fair! LOL! Thanks for sharing these lovely creations. Very inspiring!