Monday, September 29, 2008

Did You Miss Me?

Happy Monday Evening!

I'm sorry I have been so quiet. A week ago today we got a phone call letting us know that Steve's older brother passed away. He was 51 and had a massive heart attack. Steve wanted all of us to go to Sioux Falls, South Dakota together. Airfare was way too pricey so we drove, leaving early Thursday morning and just got home a couple of hours ago. I didn't want to announce to the world that we would be gone for several days.

The girls and I didn't attend the wake or funeral, though. I thought they were way too young to be exposed to that, especially for an uncle they didn't know. Steve agreed and then doubly agreed after returning from the wake. I didn't know this brother well at all, having only met him once or twice in the time I've known Steve. He lived an hour away from Sioux Falls and rarely made the trip to SF when we were in town. It helped Steve and the family that we (the girls and I) made the trip as well so it was worth it.

While the family was off for the sad event activities, the girls and I did a few things together. The main being going to visit The Sertoma Butterfly House. We'd gone last year, but I knew they would enjoy a return visit and it would get their minds off the fact that Daddy was at a funeral. This butterfly house is quite a bit smaller than the one here in Colorado by where we live, but I have to admit that the butterflies there are much more active than the ones here! Must be the humid air. LOL We enjoyed ourselves and I took a bunch of pictures. Unfortunately my computer card reader is not recognizing my media card right now, so I can't access them to share.

Yesterday we stayed an extra day because Steve's sister Sandy wanted to take the girls fishing. We had a wonderful Sunday together. Went fishing (Amy even hooked my cheek-ouch-but I'm okay...was just her biggest catch of the day, LOL), then played in the nearby playground. Off to lunch at McDonald's, then we went to another park that had a racquetball court and they all hit the balls against the wall. Amy really enjoyed doing this and I see a purchase of racquetball rackets in our near future. A nice meal with most of the family last night rounded out the day.

I was able to sneak away for a bit on my own Friday morning and I checked out a couple of stamping/scrapping stores in the area. One is called The Stamping Garden and I finally found the Cuttlebug Argyle embossing folder there! Another store was called R Scrapbooking. There was a 3rd store I wanted to see, but it apparently closed this past summer. :( Thanks to the GPS unit we have, I was able to get around with no problems.

I'd love to share some pictures, but it will have to wait until I can get this computer to see the card.

Until then, there's a somewhat brief update of what I've been up to.  Now I need to get to bed so that I can be rested to get the girls off to school in the morning.

It's good to be home...



Kathi Carlson said...

Of course, I missed you! I'm glad you had a good trip - or as good as it could have been under the circumstances. Now that you're home, I hope you get the chance to do a little stamping soon. Take care.

Barb W said...

Yes, I missed you! It sounds like you and the girls had a nice time and good for you, scoring that Argyle CB folder! Get some rest and then go play. Condolences to Steve and his family. That's a tough pill to swallow, even if they didn't speak with one another often.

Glad you all are home safe. Blessings~Barb

Rachel said...

Sorry to hear about Steve's loss. Glad you were able to find some fun and joy in the trip...glad you made it back safe.

Angela2932 said...

Jeanne, I'm sorry to hear about your brother-in-law; such a sad thing for his family. It looks like you and I have been crossing the country! I just got back, and actually wrote your name on my "to-do" list, because I miss hearing from you when I'm away! And then I saw your sweet note! I love the first photo of your daughter; the glee on her face, with the fish, is just priceless! And poor you, with the hook in your cheek! I would have figured you were DONE with injuries after your ankle! And like you, I agree; it's GOOD to be home!

stampmonkey said...

I'm sorry to hear of your family's loss, Jeanne. I hope that Steve is doing okay. And I think you definitely made the right decision in not having the girls attend the wake/funeral.

Glad that you were able to make the most of your visit there, even if the circumstances were less than ideal.