Sunday, May 10, 2009

A Most Mojolicious Day!

I spent the afternoon holed up in my craft corner and had a ball. The mojo was flowing and it felt so good. I did "card surgery" on one card and created three others! Whoo hooo!

First, the card surgery (I picked up that term from Kathi). The more I thought about it, the more I didn't think a sympathy card so full of glitter was appropriate, so I fixed it. Here's a version I like much better...

100_6078

With that off my mind, I moved on to this card...
100_6082

This is my version of this card created by Niki Estes of My Paper Creations. I loved that flower element! I crocheted the flower myself using a pattern I found by doing a Google search for small crocheted flowers. You can find the pattern here on Melissa's action hero :: knitting blog. I don't own the stamp set Niki used, but thought this one worked well. I bought this set a LONG time ago from either Hobby Lobby or Archiver's. I just did a Google search on the number that was on the set and came up with this link. I was thinking it was a Stampendous set, but wasn't sure. Guess my memory isn't too far gone just yet. The year on the set is 2006 and this may be only the 2nd or 3rd time I've inked it up. Guess I'd better get to using it more, huh? LOL.

Anyway, I used Kraft paper that I got from Archiver's, Brown Bag ink from CTMH, some brown and ivory satin ribbon from my stash, happy birthday from PTI's Birthday Basics set and the brad is Making Memories, I think. Either that or Spare Parts (I'm thinking the throwing away of packaging might not have been the best idea in some cases, lol).  Because I stamped the background directly on the card base I had to be creative with getting that brad attached so you wouldn't see it on the inside of the card. I decided to run the ribbon through my x-shaped xyron machine and I adhered those to a 1 inch wide strip of kraft cardstock (I ran that through the sticker maker, too). I poked the brad through the flower center, the ribbon and cardstock and flattened the prongs on the backside of the strip. Then I wrapped the excess ribbon around the back side of the strip and adhered it to the card front. I inked the edges of the card with Brown Bag and some Chocolate ink (CTMH).

Next up, I decided to use one of the fun buttons Sarah gifted me. My inspiration came from the orange and yellow card on this post of the Clean and Simple blog.

 100_6079

To make the flower I used a cookie cutter die from Quik Kutz that I picked up at Hobby Lobby before they carried the Nestabilities. To make the leaves I folded the Clover Meadow (CTMH) cardstock in half and free handed the cut. I inked the edges for a little depth. I think mostly this card is pretty straightforward. The colors are Breeze and Ocean in addition to the Clover Meadow and PTI's Birthday Basics provided the happy birthday .

You may or may not remember this turtle card (scroll down,  it's the Citrus Leaf/Black one). I mentioned in that post that I could only find the butterfly die I wanted to use online. I happened to be in a different Hobby Lobby than the one closest to my house and I was looking for something else and came across the butterfly die I wanted! Yipppeeee. Today I decided to finally use it.
100_6083

The spirit of that card is similar but it's got a whole new look. I used Ocean and Breeze again (because the scraps were sitting on my table) and the Labels One Nestabilities. PTI's Mixed Messages provided the small sentiment. I added a column of tiny black rhinestones on the body...just because. Oh and I used pop dots to lift the butterfly up a little.

And that concludes my card making marathon this afternoon. Steve and the girls are making dinner tonight. I decided tacos sounded good and am looking forward to their yumminess in a while. *Ü*

Thanks for your well wishes for Amy and her unfortunate kick to the kisser. Her gum is definitely bruised and I think you can see the adult tooth that hasn't poked through yet, a bit more than you could before. She says it only hurts when she puts her tongue against it or someone touches it. I just can't believe that she managed to get bonked once again around that particular tooth. That part of her mouth sure has had its share of bonks in her short life span and I sure hope that tooth will be healthy once it comes in.

I hope you've enjoyed your Mother's Day Sunday as much as I have and are ready for another week!

Jeanne

11 comments:

Sarah said...

WOW your Mojo came back from vacation with mine fully refreshed!
I love the sentiment on the gorgeous butterfly card better!
Your craft card with the crocheted flower is gorgeous. I HAVE to learn to crochet these flowers!!! Maybe you could sell them!
I was SO happy you used my button. The card rocks. Love the colors.
I think I am totally IN LOVE with the last card. It is just delightful. The butterfly in the middle is just so CUTE. I love the whole thing.
These are lovely cards Jeanne..thanks for sharing them.

Sarah said...

Left you a little something on my blog!

Kim Burmeister said...

Your mojo is definitely working! The crocheted flower is sooo pretty! These cards are beautiful!

Kathi Carlson said...

A successful "surgery," I see. Very nice job! As for the rest of your cards, I love each and every one of them. More than anything, I'm glad you had a wonderful day! Have a good week, too, my friend!

nonapearl said...

Beautiful cards! I'm still in awe of your amazing crocheted creations!!! The little flowers you can make so fast are so darling.

=) Nona

Alanna said...

I can't believe you made 4 cards in one day. These are all so great. I really like the butterfly one, although I really like the one with the crocheted flower as well. Such a nice touch.

I'm so glad that you had so much mojo going on today. What a treat for all of your readers.

Anonymous said...

Lovely cards, Jeanne...you have an eye for color and texture. I'm most impressed with your crocheted flowers...that's definitely a skill that's over my head! Maybe you need your own Etsy shop. Brenda

Jackie said...

wow your mojo was working overtime...nice :)

AaronB said...

they are all fabulous! I love the one with the crochet flowers!

Cindy Haffner said...

Wow so many beautiful cards, awesome work. Hugs Cindy xxoo

stampmonkey said...

Happy {belated} Mother's Day, Jeanne! How nice that your girls and hubby made dinner for you, and I hope your tacos were delicious!

I'm not sure what happened to Amy's mouth, but am glad that she's doing well.

Your cards here are all wonderful! Your 'card surgery' comment (courtesy of Kathi) cracked me up, and I can see why you changed your sentiment but not really sure you needed to.

Your Kraft card with the BEAUTIFUL crocheted flower (you did an awesome job on that) is so pretty and it reminds me of a journal cover or address book (very clever to add the layer of cardstock to hide the back of the brad).

The Breeze/Ocean flower card is really bright and fun, and I like how you used the big button for the flower's center. You did a great job making your own leaves too!

Good for you finally finding the butterfly die that you wanted! That's always a nice bonus. ;) Your card is really cute, the Cuttlebug'd background really sets it off, and I love the Nestie mats for your backdrop.