Saturday, May 9, 2009

Surfer Emma...

Hi there! Hope you are having a lovely Saturday. I took the girls to their school's Family Fun Day and great fun was had by all. I was a little worried because "they" were saying it might rain, but the weather was great. Sunny and not too hot. Here are just a few pictures...
100_6029 100_6032 100_6046 100_6051

They had a magician perform and he called Jessica up to assist him during one of the tricks. The picture is of the last part of the trick. There was a mama rabbit and a papa rabbit and the papa always tried to get where the mama was (he didn't listen very well). Of course he kept moving into Jessica's hand. At the end it wasn't just the papa...it was a whole mess of little bunnies! I was lucky and caught the action just as she opened her hand. Amy got kicked in the mouth, unfortunately, in the top slide/obstacle course bouncer. She has a cut on her gum right where her gap is (and the new tooth will hopefully/eventually come out. She insists she's fine though. Both girls had a great time.

And once I dropped Amy off for her Brownie field trip, I wandered into my corner and made this card and another one, which I'll share in a separate post. This first one is Surfer Emma...
100_6067

She's colored in with Koh-i-noor pencils/odorless mineral spirits. I added some Bubble Gum Shimmerz paint to the pink flowers, but it's hard to see in the photo. I also added a glittered brad to the flower on her bathing cap, but it's actually a little too big. Oh well. I used Citrus Leaf and Pink Carnation cardstock (CTMH) as well as Lemon Tart (PTI) run through a Cuttlebug embossing folder. Not much to say except I like how this came out.

I grew up in Southern California and went to the beach all the time. My mom took us to Santa Monica beach and we always sat by the Pier. My mom used to let us kids wander the pier by ourselves. Boy, was a different time that was...there's no way I would let my girls wander a place like that alone these days. Of course we always went in our blue Dodge van and my seat was on the engine compartment (no car seats or seatbelts for that matter back then) which was located between the driver and passenger seats-great spot except when the compartment got hot-LOL. She would drive through Topanga Canyon to get to the beach and it was semi mountainous and had winding roads. When I was in junior high, my friends and I would take the bus to the beach (sans adults). As much time as I spent at the beach though, I never learned how to surf. Guess I wasn't truly a beach babe, then, huh? LOL I have a lot of great memories of those beach adventures and that's what these Emmas make me think of when I see them.

Thanks for looking, I'll be back with the other card I made  in just a bit...

Jeanne

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Surfer Emma is super cute.!
The pics of your girls look super great. The sky looks so blue.
What a shame Amy got hurt! Hope she is OK.

Alanna said...

Sounds like your girls had lots of fun. I hope Amy is okay and that something doesn't start to hurt in the next day or two.

Great surfer card. So cute. You've done a great job with those images.

Kim Burmeister said...

Looks like a great day for the school event! Ouch! I hope Amy is feeling okay. Looks like they had fun. I can't wait to see the layout for these pics.

Great little surfer card. Cute!

stampmonkey said...

NOW I see what happened to poor Amy! Oh my goodness, Jeanne, I bet you freaked out when that happened...especially when that same area has been 'targeted' before. I'm so glad that she's doing okay now and hopefully her adult tooth will come in just fine. Have you taken her to or talked with her dentist to make sure? Though there's probably nothing that can be done now.

Glad that both girls enjoyed their play day at school (nice t-shirts!), that the weather cooperated, and that Jessica was selected to get up close and personal with the bunnies. ;) Good memories (well, all except for Amy's little mishap)!

I love your sweet little surfer girl card! Emma's such a doll!! Your coloring is beautiful, and I think your color choices were perfect for that ocean feel. tfs

stampmonkey said...

I forgot to mention that I totally agree with you that we definitely live in a different time now than when we were growing up. My mom used to let us kids do things that I'd NEVER let my kids do today! It's so sad that our kids will never get to experience a lot of the freedom that we were able to enjoy as kids, but it's just NOT worth the risk these days.