Creative Bliss

Friday, October 3, 2008

Friendship Card

Happy Friday!

I started this card yesterday, after working on re-bagging all my cardstock and scraps back together. (I decided I really didn't like them separated, so I bought a few more of the Cropper Hopper vertical storage things) In the process of doing that, I messed up my back for the second time this week! (on Tuesday my lower back was killing me after I cleaned out the cat box-and no...she didn't have more "stuff" than usual). Anyway, by the time I got done with the first little chore, I only had time to color the image before I had to pick up the girls from school. After school they had swim lessons, which take us to dinner time. After dinner, I parked on our back/heat massager for the next few hours and watched the vp debate.  Thankfully that (the heat massager, not the debate), plus a good night's sleep, and some ibuprofen has allowed whatever muscle I keep messing with to relax and I'm better now. But for the next little while I'm not going to sit on the floor and lean over to do anything! I picked up a assemble yourself tv cart today for our printer that is sitting on the floor next to my computer, but I'm leaving it IN the box and Steve can put it together. Sheesh, I must be getting old or something.

Anyway, that was a lot of chatter about nothing...sorry, here's the completed card. 100_4898 I am pretty okay with how it came out. I have had this set for a little while now, but hadn't had a chance to get it inky. Then I saw this card by Kathi and it reminded me I hadn't used my set yet. So I busted it out of its case and got to work. I inked with Versamark first, then CTMH black ink (read on Zindorf's blog to do that when I made the brayered card recently). It allows the dye ink to stay wet enough to clear heat emboss. And then the black doesn't smear at all when you use your markers. Plus, the Versamark keeps the black from really staining your stamps...if that's a concern of yours. So anyway I did that and heat embossed with clear, then used a variety of Sharpie and Bic Mark-it markers (the poor woman's Copics) to color in the tree. These markers work well for the most part, although I have been noticing that the Sharpies especially like to lose some of their ink flow. I think the embossing is messing them up, which is a tad frustrating. But until I win the lottery, I will have to make do. As much as I like the look of all the artwork colored in with Copics, I simply cannot afford the hefty price-tag. :o(

So, after I colored in the card...I picked my dp, which is from the Fall Matstack from DCWV. I added some Chocolate ink sponging and matted with Chocolate cardstock. Then added some gold brads. The sentiment is from a new set I have from Gel-a-tins, called Sheltering Tree. And try as I might to season the sentiment (which I love) I couldn't get a good image. Maybe I'm just too impatient? So I decided to "deal with it" and finish the card.

Then I started on a second card, and even finished it, but I absolutely DON'T like it at all, which is a bummer. First off, I broke my B plate for my Cuttlebug! I didn't realize I had two of the tan mats together and as I ran my Nestabilities rectangle thru, C R A C K! Broke in three pieces! Then I colored the image, but ultimately it didn't coordinate with the dp I was using. I tried to "deal with it" and move on, but it was obvious to me that it was a train wreck. Finally, I decided to use a with sympathy sentiment and after I stamped it and looked at all the colors...they were too bright really for a sympathy card-strike three! So, that's in the trash can and I'll try again...maybe...later. I think the breaking of the plate broke my mojo, too. Every other card I thought to try to make involved using the Cuttlebug (naturally). So, I gave up for now and decided to post what I was successful with!

Thanks so much for stopping by and if you've read this far, bless you! I did a lot of rambling for one fairly simple card, didn't I?

Hopefully, I'll get some time to create (and find the mojo) this weekend.

Jeanne

2 comments:

Kathi Carlson said...

Beautiful card! Love that paper. As for the stamp that you couldn't get seasoned, I've been known to take some very fine paper to stamps like that. You need to be careful, but it works. NO ONE that makes them would recommend it, however. As for that B Cuttlebug plate, I wish I lived across the street. You could have one of mine. I read so many horror stories about breaking them using the Nestabilities, I stocked up. I think I have four and haven't broke one yet. LOL! I don't know about your back. It's NOT because you're getting old, 'cuz if you are, there's little hope for this old bird! Again, I love your card and am glad you got the chance to break out that stamp set. I'll watch for more when the mojo returns - soon, I hope!

stampmonkey said...

Very pretty card, Jeanne! I love the colors and the paper you used. I'm lovin' tree images at the moment, though I have yet to turn one into an autumn scene. lol

I haven't broken a B plate yet, but I've run it through the Cuttlebug so many times with my Nestabilities that it was sooooo curled up I couldn't use it anymore. I'm about half way through the predicted lifespan of my second B plate, and I already have another package waiting...just in case it breaks unexpectedly.