Friday, October 31, 2008

Pumpkin Carving

100_5131  100_5134 100_5136 100_5141

The girls were quite excited to get to work on the pumpkins this afternoon. I know a lot of kids don't like pumpkin "guts," but my girls seem to relish the ooey gooey-ness! It may seem a bit late to actually carve them on Halloween, but around these parts if you do it earlier they start drying up or getting mushy right away. Waiting means they'll look good during show time! It helped of course, that the girls were off school today.

We started out with Amy's pumpkin and were disappointed to see, upon carving out the lid (after I dropped it bringing it into the house when the stem broke off), the inside was a bit moldy. Surprised We still carved it, but  threw out the seeds (dangnabit, the seeds are my favorite part-wink, wink Felicia). You can see Amy's pumpkin on the left...with it carved the way she requested. I had stencils that we used for the other two. But the caveat for those is I couldn't find my pumpkin carving tools and did them with a regular paring knife. So, if they look a little rough around the edges, that's why. Winking

I've roasted our seeds, but they are a bit dry this year. Sigh...oh well. It's not like I need the seeds, right?

Thanks for stopping by. It's entirely possible/probable that I will post pictures from this evening, so feel free to check back later...or not.

Jeanne

4 comments:

Barb said...

Such fun, Jeanne. Cherish these moments! Your girls are adorable!

Kathi Carlson said...

It looks like we've been having the same fun. As for pumpkin guts, it was 50/50 here. Mathias thought it was great, but Bjorn wouldn't have anything to do with the process. Maybe next year. LOL. Have a great weekend, friend!

Carol said...

Carving pumpkins looks like loads of fun! I have never thought about pumpkins having "guts" lol. I guess I have never had to carve a pumpkin.
What do you do with the roasted seeds? Eat them? I have never heard of it.
I love the look of that pizza (in previous post).
Zac left America on Thursday and said he could feel all the excitement in air about halloween and wished he was staying one more day.

stampmonkey said...

Be glad they enjoy doing the de-seeding of the pumpkins...it could've been you having to dig all that goo out of them! ;) Looks like they were really getting into it! Fun memories.